Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro Air
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: 9-10
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Humidifier on the Respironics System One Auto A Flex
Hi all,

So I got this new system yesterday (DS560) and it looks great. Problem is, I wound up waking with dry mouth 2x last night, needing a drink of water.

I filled it to the max line and it was empty in the morning. My pressure is 9-10. I ran the humidifier at 4 first, then upped to 5 when I woke up dry the first time. I never had that problem with the S7 Lightweight from Resmed. I am wondering if the heated hose has something to do with it?
Any suggestions would be helpful because I wont be able to get the benefit of this if i keep waking up with a dry mouth.

11-09-2013 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Sex: Male

RE: Humidifier on the Respironics System One Auto A Flex
Sounds like 'mouth breathing' to me. With a FFM, even with the humidity on a higher setting, if you are mouth breathing, some folks will still get a dry mouth.

Choices are;
Live with it
Try to nose breathe more
switch to a nasal mask and chinstrap

Or, simply wait for a few other replies that should include ideas on how to help with the dry mouth.

As a very long term mouth breather (til nose repair surgery), it is something that I learned to live with, and over time (many years) the skin in my mouth toughened, or got used to the dryness (I know not which) - at this point, I use a nasal mask and am still struggling to *not* mouth breathe. I would say that roughly 7 out of 10 nights I am successful, and on the nights I am not, I can tell when I awake.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-10-2013 12:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [CPAP] Setting up this auto a-flex is really intimidating. SierraMadreMe 0 34 Yesterday 10:39 PM
Last Post: SierraMadreMe
  [CPAP] Humidifier texasbluedevil69 11 102 Yesterday 08:50 PM
Last Post: texasbluedevil69
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 7 148 Yesterday 08:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respironics Wisp Mask Questions Dreams of Green 6 175 10-23-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Ezil71
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 263 10-21-2016 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  advice please for Philips Respironics DreamStation gobisubbu 4 649 10-21-2016 06:21 PM
Last Post: Bompa
  CPAP cleaning system Tommy C 97 58,902 10-20-2016 05:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA