Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sanitizing a used CPAP?
Sanitizing a used CPAP?
Having 'fired' my DME supplier and the sleep center, I'm going to pick up a used machine to experiment without the pressure to 'perform' for the insurance company. How safe is a used machine in terms of germs? I would use a new hose and humidifier. I have a collection of masks leftover from my previous attempts. Is there a way to sanitize the machine itself, or is that not necessary? I would think the machine itself would be pretty safe, but of course, you have no idea what conditions are like in someone else's home.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sanitizing a used CPAP?
Unless the CPAP came from a smoker's environment, I don't see much need to do anything. After all, the germs were on the delivery end, and you are replacing them.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just bought a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto with 6000 hours for $150 plus shipping. The individual selling it indicated it was used by his mom who had moved to a different type of therapy. Upon receipt, I pulled the SD card and checked user data and determined the last time it was used was in June 2020. The condition of the machine was very clean. I did some minor cleanup of the exterior case and wiped down the humidifier compartment, outlet and seals with alcohol wipes, and inserted a new filter, humidifier chamber and tube. I then reset or deleted all user data and formatted the SD card, inserted my settings to the machine. Done! No odors and the truth is the PAP unit is not a reservoir of pathogens, especially after 9 months of sitting idle.

I have obtained other machines in the past, including one Philips System One that had fewer hours but heavy cigarette smoke contamination. That one required full cleaning, purging with Ozium and new silicone seals in the dry box. I am not at all concerned about being sickened by any machine, as it is a blower that is remote from the patient, and is unlikely to support any form of virus or bacteria with reasonable time. I really don't worry about it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most important thing with a used machine is to do a factory reset because you do not know what settings were modified by the previous owner(s). It gives you a safe place to start from. You have done all you can do sanitizing wise. These days I would be concerned with it being in a "Covid" home in addition to smoke. It's the air in the room that is a concern as you are replacing everything on the delivery end.
Post Reply Post Reply
No Covid here. I finished my second shot in February. I think the life of the virus on a dry impermeable surface is hours, not days or weeks, so I don't think it changes anything.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sanitizing machines for CPAP machines milboltnut 25 2,728 09-22-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Sanitizing Solution? jimcaffey 7 2,586 10-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.