Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier question [to use or not to use]
Humidifier question [to use or not to use]
I have a built-in humidifier on my CPAP machine. Prior to being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I've never needed to use a humidifier. 

Since having been issued my machine, I've been using the humidifier. I seem to be okay with it. I have it set @ 4, and am going to turn it down further to 2, starting tonight. 

I'm not even sure that I need it on at all. I don't suffer from a dry or irritated throat from what I can tell. 

I looked in my CPAP owner's manual and it doesn't cover anything about not using the humidifier. If I do choose not to use it, do I simply remove the water reservoir from the machine? Or......is there something I need to click on in the menu screen? 

If I really don't need the humidity, I'd like to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidifier question
You can just turn off the heat to the humidifier and leave the tub empty. They also sell a replacement plate which is nice because it reduces the size for travel.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply! I'm going to try and keep reducing the amount of the humidity and see how I feel.

I did order the side replacement plate for my machine today. Figured it's better to have one on hand if the need arises. From what I read up on it, when inserted, it automatically turns the humidifier function off. I like that!
Post Reply Post Reply
It varies from person to person. Some people never use theirs. Some people can't go without it. I live in the humid US South and once the heater goes off in the spring, I don't use it unless I am ill. But in the dry winter, I gotta have it or I wake up clogged.

Try it without. Try it with just water in the tub and no heat (this is called "passover" humidifying).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2018, 07:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It varies from person to person. Some people never use theirs. Some people can't go without it. I live in the humid US South and once the heater goes off in the spring, I don't use it unless I am ill. But in the dry winter, I gotta have it or I wake up clogged.

Try it without. Try it with just water in the tub and no heat (this is called "passover" humidifying).

I've been using it w/o the heat. I seem to be doing okay with it. I don't wake up feeling clogged or congested at all. Then again, I've never had any problems being congested. 

I'm curious though, to see how I feel with no humidifying of the air.
Post Reply Post Reply
I struggled with nasal congestion at night ( I suffer from extremely sensitive nasal lining due to the skin being very thin inside my nose, and assorted airborne allergies give me Hell ).. so I worked my way up to full humidity, which made things even worse with the blocking, and then back down to no humidity at all ( heat off, tank empty ).. 
The no humidity setup is best for me, I get very little blocking overnight now.. 
Over winter I still have the heated tube turned on to take the chill off the air coming through, but nothing more than that for the last 12 months or so now. #happysleeper  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Never needed one, but during my 2 week "evaluation" period, I had a loaner machine without one and had more than a couple of mornings where I was blowing clots out with the morning snot.
Once I got my permanent machine, I started gradually running the humidifier up until I'd get rainout, then back it down a notch. I've not had any issues in the morning, and my general congestion problems that I've lived with my entire life are pretty much a thing of the past.
Nobody ever suggested that dry air was the cause of my congestion.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2018, 02:34 AM)CB91710 Wrote: Nobody ever suggested that dry air was the cause of my congestion.

The odd thing is that humid air can do the same thing.  We are all individuals.

Typically we suggest trying to increase humidification if having issues and if that doesn't work to try decreasing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
It can really depend on you, and what works best for you. Supposedly the humidifier is just for "comfort", and isn't necessary; but I wouldn't be able to use CPAP if there was no humidifier because it makes my air passage dry, scratchy, and painful. Everyone is different.

In that same regard, it really can depend on your environment. When I lived in a humid area, I didn't really need the humidifier. But then I moved to a very dry area, and there's no way I could go without it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 110 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 373 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 264 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 912 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 512 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 429 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,242 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.