Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifier water chamber
RE: Humidifier water chamber
(02-21-2022, 07:02 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: I have very hard water but I use tap water anyway.  I never empty the tank unless I am going to clean it, which I do probably once every two or three weeks.  Then I put in a teaspoon or two of citric acid powder and fill with warm water to soak for a while.  That works nicely for me and cleans out the tank very well. Vinegar also works, but I don't like the smell it leaves behind, thus the citric acid powder - no smell.

That's odd, cause after I rinse the tank, the white vinegar smell is gone. It's kind of nice not being able to smell much of anything anymore.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2022, 03:05 PM)David Clark Wrote: I'm just curious because if you're using distilled water nothing goes back into the chamber and the chamber is sealed nothing is getting into it from the air so it seems like it's basically just storing distilled water until you fill it back up again the next night.

What does go into the humidifier chamber is ambient air which carries airborne microscopic spores and bacteria which can and will colonize a humidifier chamber.  Distilled water is simply free of minerals, it is not sterile. It may take longer for bacteria to colonize a chamber with distilled water than tap-water, but since the contaminates are airborne, it isn't much different. With tap-water I dump daily. With distilled, I would not change my habits much because without rinsing, you continually build-up the contaminates that arrive by the airflow from the room, so you are adding your fresh distilled water to increasingly contaminated residual. This ultimately negates the advantages of distilled water. The CPAP filter is transparent to these organisms and contaminates. That said the types of bacteria that like to live in warm wet dark places are not pathogenic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2022, 07:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What does go into the humidifier chamber is ambient air which carries airborne microscopic spores and bacteria which can and will colonize a humidifier chamber.  Distilled water is simply free of minerals, it is not sterile. It may take longer for bacteria to colonize a chamber with distilled water than tap-water, but since the contaminates are airborne, it isn't much different.  With tap-water I dump daily. With distilled, I would not change my habits much because without rinsing, you continually build-up the contaminates that arrive by the airflow from the room, so you are adding your fresh distilled water to increasingly contaminated residual.  This ultimately negates the advantages of distilled water.  The CPAP filter is transparent to these organisms and contaminates.  That said the types of bacteria that like to live in warm wet dark places are not pathogenic.

See...that is why we need a "like" button.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here ya go. Pick one.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=40082]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=40083]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 90 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,074 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 145 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 346 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 246 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 144 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 173 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.