Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidifiers not safe - seriously?
RE: Humidifiers not safe - seriously?
(04-18-2016, 09:55 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I've pulled my machine to the floor 4 times so far. 3 times were not at home. On the Airsense, my empirical evidence indicates that the humidifer hits the floor first, so any water spillage is AWAY from the machine.

I'm thinking of buying a Hose Buddy.

I love my Hose Buddy. It has probably kept me from pulling my machine off a couple of times when I woke up in the middle of the night and forgot I had my mask on.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2016, 12:43 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: I'll talk about the two modern machines I own and have taken apart and examined pretty thoroughly: the A10 Autoset and the DreamStation Auto.

I should have mentioned that IMHO you have work pretty hard to get water from the tank onto the internal circuit boards and it probably would take an intentional effort to accomplish that.

However, the power jacks are potentially vulnerable to standing or splashed water from any source, including a tank leak or spillage that soaks that area while the unit is powered.

So check that area for signs of moisture.

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 07:13 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: However, the power jacks are potentially vulnerable to standing or splashed water from any source, including a tank leak or spillage that soaks that area while the unit is powered.

So check that area for signs of moisture.

Yup, power jacks are always vulnerable. The only one that comes to mind that would seem to not be is Apple magnetic power connection, but it has it's own issues.

I was thinking a magnetic air hose connection might be a good idea, maybe, so if you get up and walk away it would just disconnect rather than dragging the machine along behind you. Either end could be magnetic, probably safest if it is the end at the mask that disconnects so you are not dragging a long hose to trip over.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2016, 09:55 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I'm thinking of buying a Hose Buddy.
If have a situation where an off-the-shelf unit won't work, you can build your own using pvc pipe.

I used this: google "formufit"
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 06:40 PM)sdb7802 Wrote:
(04-18-2016, 09:55 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I'm thinking of buying a Hose Buddy.
If have a situation where an off-the-shelf unit won't work, you can build your own using pvc pipe.

I used this: google "formufit"

I'm thinking of modifying my Hose Buddy. Because of the way it works, it does limit how much you can move while using it. It would be nice to have extra hose held up out of the way until you need it, possibly a reel of some sort. In order to do that, the Hose Buddy would need to be taller to give room to get the extra hose up and out of the way. It should be a fairly simple mod.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
We need PollCat to start a poll to ask, "Have you ever had a machine failure due to water"?

It's pretty rare, and it's really easy to prevent with ordinary care. Philips machines use a dry box arrangement to mitigate against accidents. I'm not sure the Resmed design works, but there are baffles in the humidifier to prevent flow-back to the machine. I think this thread is much to do about nothing. Put your unit in a nightstand drawer, or on the floor if you're worried. If you're a night stand user, secure the hose against pulling the unit off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider +1. Since I was washing my chamber tonight anyway, I filled it to the max line and turned it sideways, holes down and not a drop came out. The air ports inside the chamber are above water line when it is tipped over,
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 07:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Put your unit in a nightstand drawer, or on the floor if you're worried. If you're a night stand user, secure the hose against pulling the unit off.

Note: if putting into nightstand drawer, make sure that you add something inside the drawer so that your device stays level when you have water in it. This was advise from the hospital RT.

Sleeprider, my problem is mostly away from home as I have no control over how wide or how far away a nightstand is from the bed. Hence the Hose Buddy thing. At home though, I added a tray with high sides and those rubbery things on the bottom and that has secured the Airsense from being yanked off.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2016, 07:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We need PollCat to start a poll to ask, "Have you ever had a machine failure due to water"?

It's pretty rare, and it's really easy to prevent with ordinary care. Philips machines use a dry box arrangement to mitigate against accidents.

I'd like to add: In the 5 years I've been PAPing with my current PR System One BiPAP Auto 750 machine, I have pulled the machine completely off my bedside table about 4 or 5 times. At least twice, the machine has landed upside down. With no damage to the machine and no water spilled on the floor.

That said, if I were pulling the machine off the table more frequently, I'd certainly be looking for ways to prevent pulling it off.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2016, 12:23 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 07:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Put your unit in a nightstand drawer, or on the floor if you're worried. If you're a night stand user, secure the hose against pulling the unit off.

Note: if putting into nightstand drawer, make sure that you add something inside the drawer so that your device stays level when you have water in it. This was advise from the hospital RT.

Sleeprider, my problem is mostly away from home as I have no control over how wide or how far away a nightstand is from the bed. Hence the Hose Buddy thing. At home though, I added a tray with high sides and those rubbery things on the bottom and that has secured the Airsense from being yanked off.

I have been doing a ton of travel recently. My first consideration is proximity to a power plug. After that, I just set the machine on the floor if nothing better is available (put it on a clean towel if the floors are questionable). At a hotel, I use the drawer or top of a nightstand. I have never pulled a machine off a surface, but I keep a couple lanyards (like you use around your neck for I.D. cards), and fasten the hose above my head, or to the side of the headboard so no matter how I move, the machine is not affected.

A lanyard is very easy and inexpensive (free) to use to secure the hose and prevent the kinds of accidents being reported here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 170 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 766 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Is soft cervical collar safe to use? accetableplaintain 4 1,015 06-26-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Sad What glue is safe to use on nasal masks? go2sleep 8 5,187 06-25-2022, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Skin Safe Memory Foam Tape? Jdubb 0 716 12-13-2021, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Jdubb
  Heated humidifiers, CPAP vs ventilator; Nafion as alternative? runcyclexcski 8 954 11-06-2021, 05:14 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Earplugs safe to use with CPAP? vroomvroom 8 3,524 11-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: CyberSpiff

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.