Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidity and rainout help
Humidity and rainout help
Good morning everyone, I have a situation and I’m wondering if you all can help give me some ideas how to handle this problem.

I have to run my CPAP on 15 L of pressure so, to keep my throat from being irritated and sore I have to run my humidity level on number 6 on my ResMed 11. if I run my humidity level on number 5 or lower my throat, becomes irritated and sore.

When I run my humidity level on No. 6, my throat is not sore, but I begin to experience rainout. My room temperature is about 71° and the humidity in my room. It’s about 40%.

Does anyone have any ideas how to keep my humidity level at number 6 so my throat is not sore but avoid the rainout that I have experienced just about every night?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidity and rainout help
If you don't have one, a ClimateLine heated hose should be a major consideration.  This hose allows for a higher humidity level before rainout occurs.  

A little note; The CPAP pressure is measured in Centimeters/H2O and not in Liters.  

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information. I am trying to learn everything I can but it seems overwhelming. I can read AHI and AI but the rest is Greek to me. I did not know about the pressure being Centimeters/H2O. Does a heated hose work with any cpap? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike a regular hose, a heated hose (ClimateLine - Resmed brand name) is specific to the CPAP's brand and in most cases to the model number too.  You will need to search for an AS11 ClimateLine heated hose.  Each Resmed model (S9, A10, A11) has different electrical connections.  As for readers of other brands, I don't have a clue as to the specifics for this option outside the Resmed brand.

Aside from the links in my signature, I recommend that you through the Apnea Board Wiki (link in the name and at the top of every page). This will provide many insights to the world of apnea treatment.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are heated hoses that have external power supplies that will work with any CPAP. But if you have a AS 11, you will want to get the AS 11 ClimateLine.

I have been using CPAP for few decades and never had a heated hose. I don't know what could be different about the AS 11 humidifier but I experienced water collecting in my mask. Not sure if I ever had rain out in the hose. But when a leak occurred combined with the moisture, it was like having cold water hitting me in the face. 

I took Red's advice in one of my threads to try a ClimateLine and it made a huge benefit. 

You want the AS 11 ClimateLine hose because as soon as you plug it in, the settings on the machine will automatically have new options for auto or manual and if manual hose temperature. On the AS 11, it is like plugging in the SD card you get a message reading the card. When you plug in the ClimateLine, you get a message ClimateLine connected and then the menu changes. 

I had the doc add heated hose requirement to my script because the DME was not wanting to give me a heated hose. I did buy one myself to check Red's advice out and it was great. 

-- Bill
Struggling to keep the air moving like everyone else …  ?

Standard Disclaimer:
I'm just a CPAP user like you. I can't give medical advice. 
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
B1Sailor - Thanks for pointing out the seamless integration and additional user options! I keep forgetting that little tidbit. Oh-jeez

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to everyone that has replied, thus far, I will begin to look into the resmed hose
Post Reply Post Reply
If you work with a DME/insurance you likely qualify for a new hose with a portion covered by insurance- they seem to think they need replaced more often than real life.
(It's all a racket! Lol)

The ClimateLine hose will make a huge difference but you might still have to tweak the settings a little to prevent rainout so don't get frustrated if you purchase one and that night still get rainout!

Your going to have to set hose temperature + humidity level as it compares to the humidity and temperature in your bedroom plus your comfort. 
Some people use hose covers for comfort too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had this problem, and I solved it with 2 changes:
1. Got the heated tube. This reduced the rainout, but not eliminated it.
2. Got the CPAP Tube Sleeve (from Amazon). Together with #1, it practically eliminated the problem.

I still find some droplets of water in the mask and the tube in the morning, but no gargling sounds, and no more waking up.

Just after I wake up, I run "Mask Fit", which blows air through the hose, which helps to dry it out for the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I bought my S10*for her* about a year ago it didn't come with a heated comfortline hose. It did have a humidifier. My DME's cost was huge. I shopped using a reference in the suppliers list here. I was able to buy if for 50% off, and free shipping.

During the long disturbance I find it hard to get masks and other supplies. Turns out I have to tell them what I want, and they hand it to me standing outside the store. A mask might cost me $300 CDN that way. Buying it on line I typically save 40 %; sometimes more

I've caused conversation here about humdifier reservoirs. My DME supplies two kinds. One is cleanable, and the other is not. Both are ResMed humdifiers. I use city water in the cleanable reservoir. No problems. My first non-cleanable reservoir didn't last using city water. It sprung a leak.

I need to experiment with settings. I haven't done that yet. My ResMed is still set on auto.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,162 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
  [Equipment] ResMed rainout help Sorcha 2 383 12-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,204 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,996 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.