Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Peru Travel w/ Resmed AirSense 10
Peru Travel w/ Resmed AirSense 10
Has anyone traveled to Peru with the Resmed AirSense 10? Did you need make any adjustments for altitude in Cusco, Machu Picchu or the Sacred Valley? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Peru Travel w/ Resmed AirSense 10
I've not traveled to high altitude myself, but I've read of some who bring prescription Diamox with them to help with the altitude adjustment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most common problem with altitudes above 8000 feet are an increase in central apnea events. You can track that on your machine by noting changes in the OAI, and CAI on Essentials Plus. If central events increase, a decrease in CPAP pressure and decrease in EPR may be effective. The use of Diamox can be helpful with high altitude pulmonary edema or cerebral edema (aka altitude sickness), and this can lead to the increase of events and can be fatal if the victim is not returned below 8000 feet. Diamox treatment must be started 24 hours ahead of acclimatization and will not be effective once symptoms set in. If you do not have experience with those high altitudes, then prophylactic use of Acetazolamide may be advisable (consult your doctor). Gradual acclimatization and good hydration are the best choices.

Good article here: http://www.mayo.edu/research/documents/p...c-10026905
Don't go expecting problems, but taking reasonable precautions if you don't know how you react to altitude can be useful.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your replies. My question was too vague, I think. Does my machine (pressure?)need to be adjusted when sleeeping at an altitude of 10,800 ft.? Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine auto adjusts up to 8000 feet. Above that point there are not any guidelines. I have personally used Resmed and Respironics machines at up to 10,000 feet without any problems. As you can imagine, response to altitude is individual, but the machine will provide the same "differential pressure" (atmosphere plus setting in cmH2O). That setting is tested and medically approved up to 8000 feet MSL, but above that point the difference is not very significant in my experience.

The machines have not been tested or certified above 8000 feet, and that's the best I can give you. The machine will work, but you don't have a manufacturer certification at that altitude. Watch your data, and you will be fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, SleepRider!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 11 211 3 hours ago
Last Post: sauerkraut
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 80 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,459 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 89 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 138 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,999 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 136 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.