Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidity and temperature settings
Humidity and temperature settings
Hi,

I have a Climateline hose on my S10 so I can change temperature and humidity automatically. Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I wake up and feel that I have difficult in breathing, as my nose fills stuffed or edematous. It is difficult to explain but the amount of oxygen that I was getting when I started sleeping seems to be decreasing. I assume the temperature or the humidity setting is responsable for this, as when I remove the mask and get to breath with the room air, the feeling disappears. So, do I need less humidity, less temperature, or a combination? 

Thanks...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidity and temperature settings
I recommend a YouTube channel featuring Ohio Sleep Medicine Institute podcast  “How to Solve Nasal Congestion Using CPAP”.  Their advice to up humidity resolved my nasal congestion.  Good luck and sweet dreams.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. I've watched it, however there is a contradictory statement. They tell to up the humidification to combat stuffed nose but to turn it down during summer. Now, we are in summer, so I should turn it down but my nose is stuffed, so I have to turn it up. Also, they don't really talk about the effect of heating (or a heated hose) on the nose (they talk about rainouts in this context, but this is a different problem). Does the heat has anything to do with a stuffed nose or is it only the humidification that matters?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you may have to experiment a bit with the settings to find what's right for you. You have heated hose temperature to adjust to combat rainout, and it may be more important to adjust if you add humidity. The humidity setting may need to go up or down to find your setting. Then there's the Mode, Auto or manual. Auto regulates the humidity in relation to your room, whereas manual goes only by your static settings you have in place. You may have to edit all 3 of these to find your best setting for the current season.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I had a sich in the glystem, double post

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My own setting for both hose and humidity level are on the lowest allowable 'non-zero' values. I just don't need increased humidity in the Pacific North-West of North America.  I haven't actually tried to turn both off, but suspect I'd see no difference.  However, I did have congestion for two nights running on Wednesday and Thursday past. Last two nights, I was fine and slept well.  What is the difference?  It was more humid than in the past week or more, but it was also substantially warmer in the bedroom, up by about 5 deg C.   We have had a cool and somewhat wetter spring until this past week when we got some warmer days, but still some rain.  I think that the higher humidity and heat made me congested.  It isn't as if it's suddenly pollen season...that began locally six or seven weeks back, and I don't have a history of allergies (knock on wood...) anyway.

I think it might be a reaction to heat, humidity, foods, dehydration or edema (contradictory conditions, but who knows...), red wine or other histaminic response generators, poor vascular drainage locally due to pressure or some other temporary condition.  If it persists for days, and the weather and temps are largely unvaried (but also recently changed), that might be the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods. Boodmaster 4 794 03-26-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,162 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,996 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirSense11 - How to increase humidity BlueSky1958 8 672 10-22-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.