Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidity level vs heated tube?
Humidity level vs heated tube?
After four nights with my new AirSense 10 Autoset mostly with a Dreamwear nasal cushion mask, I've got sore-feeling nasal passages today and blood in one nostril. (The air in our area is pretty dry right now.) The sleep clinic started me out with the humidity level on the AirSense set mid-range at 4. The doctor also recommended a heated tube, but it hasn't arrived yet.

So I thought tonight I'd up the humidity level, maybe to 6. Or I suppose I could go even higher.

Two questions:

-- What kind of symptoms do most people get when they've set the humidity level of their machine too high?

-- What exactly is the purpose of the heated tube? What's the relationship between use of the heated tube vs how the humidity level is set?

Just wondering how to try to optimize all of this --
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidity level vs heated tube?
With the Airsense 10 humidifier in "Climate Control Auto" mode you can't set humidity too high. Many of us set humidity to manual which allows much higher humidity levels. Basically, my recommendation is to set the machine to Climate contro Manual and back off if you get condensation, or too much humidity. The Auto humidity is very conservative.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2019, 09:40 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote: After four nights with my new AirSense 10 Autoset mostly with a Dreamwear nasal cushion mask, I've got sore-feeling nasal passages today and blood in one nostril. (The air in our area is pretty dry right now.) The sleep clinic started me out with the humidity level on the AirSense set mid-range at 4. The doctor also recommended a heated tube, but it hasn't arrived yet.

So I thought tonight I'd up the humidity level, maybe to 6. Or I suppose I could go even higher.

Two questions:

-- What kind of symptoms do most people get when they've set the humidity level of their machine too high?

-- What exactly is the purpose of the heated tube? What's the relationship between use of the heated tube vs how the humidity level is set?

Just wondering how to try to optimize all of this --

For myself, I cannot go too high. Normally that is. IF I suspect my humidity setting is too high, and it does occasionally, I can tell by getting a stuffy nose that is above the normally expected.

The heated hose is used to combat rainout. Basically this rainout is condensation in the hose. It likes to migrate into your mask or make disturbing gurgling noises contrived to wake you at 3:30 AM.

As for settings, user preference rules. Personally, I found I prefer higher on both humidity and hose. The way I started was to choose a middle setting on both, then edit them until I got my preferred results. Hope this helps you. I can clarify that if needed, just ask.

Coffee

PS I run humidifier in manual mode.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to show a difference I use the heated hose in full auto mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2019, 09:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: With the Airsense 10 humidifier in "Climate Control Auto" mode you can't set humidity too high.  Many of us set humidity to manual which allows much higher humidity levels. Basically, my recommendation is to set the machine to Climate contro Manual and back off if you get condensation, or too much humidity.  The Auto humidity is very conservative.

That's odd, in the AirSense 10's "My Options" menu there's a setting for Humidity Level (which I've now bumped up from 4 to 8), but I'm not finding a setting for "Climate Control Auto" anywhere.

In that user menu, the choices for settings are Ramp Time, Humidity Level, Pressure Relief, SmartStart, Mask, Tube, Run Mask Fit, Run Warmup, Airplane Mode and About.

In the Clinical Menu, the settings are Mode (CPAP vs Autoset), Max Pressure, Min Pressure, Mask, Response (Standard vs Soft), Ramp Time, Start Pressure, EPR, EPR Type, EPR Level, Humidity Level, Tube, AB Filter, Essentials ("Plus" vs "On," whatever those are), SmartStart, Reminders, Language, Date, Time, Pressure Units, Temperature Units, Restore Defaults, Erase Data and About.

Is there another hidden location for the Climate Control setting? Does that option only appear when a heated tube is connected, for example?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't believe the auto climate control setting works unless there's a heated hose connected. You'll have to use just the humidifier setting until your heated hose arrives.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2019, 09:40 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote: -- What kind of symptoms do most people get when they've set the humidity level of their machine too high?
Rainout.  Either excessive condensation in the mask, or it will collect in a low spot in the hose and "pop pop pop" as air bubbles through, waking me up.  Easy enough to lift the hose to allow it to drain back into the machine.

I vary mine between 4 and 6 through the year.  If it's too low, I also get some blood encrusted, and congestion worsens.  I try to keep mine right "on the edge" of rainout.

(01-22-2019, 09:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: With the Airsense 10 humidifier in "Climate Control Auto" mode you can't set humidity too high.
Ours do not have that option with the Slimline hose (that I can find).  I always assumed it self-activated with the heated hose.
I have to adjust mine as ambient humidity and temperature change.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
For those of you without a heated hose, and even with it, a fleece hose cover can really increase comfort and improve delivery of humidity. A fleece cover feels a lot better against your skin or your face and prevents condensation. The corrections that "auto/manual" humidity control is only available with a heated tube are correct.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2019, 12:22 AM)CB91710 Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 09:40 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote: -- What kind of symptoms do most people get when they've set the humidity level of their machine too high?
Rainout.  Either excessive condensation in the mask, or it will collect in a low spot in the hose and "pop pop pop" as air bubbles through, waking me up.  Easy enough to lift the hose to allow it to drain back into the machine.

Boy, did I ever learn this last night. To counteract dry air I set the humidity on the AirSense up to the max of 8 to see how that would go. After about 4 1/2 hours of sleep I started getting that persistent pop-pop-pop. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the heated tube.

(01-23-2019, 10:04 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: For those of you without a heated hose, and even with it, a fleece hose cover can really increase comfort and improve delivery of humidity.  A fleece cover feels a lot better against your skin or your face and prevents condensation.   The corrections that "auto/manual" humidity control is only available with a heated tube are correct.

Is there a good source or brand for the fleece cover?
Post Reply Post Reply
For fleece covers, example is in our supplier list, 1800 CPAP AKA Supplier #10 has a hose cover for $15. Others probably offer similar. IMO most any brand ought to be OK. ResMed even has one, if you so choose.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 64 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 172 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 264 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Dreamstation 2 humidity controls Lesgreen 3 112 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Lesgreen
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 156 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity FHTC 8 127 04-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 143 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.