Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidity level vs heated tube?
RE: Humidity level vs heated tube?
(01-23-2019, 12:22 AM)CB91710 Wrote: Easy enough to lift the hose to allow it to drain back into the machine.

Um, something tells me it's not a good idea to do that. What comes out of the machine is air carrying water vapor, not liquid water. I don't think the machine is designed to have water poured into the air outlet.

There have been at least two mentions here, one far back in time and one recent, of Resmed power connectors that had been fried by being exposed to water, and ISTR that in at least one case it was from rainout that had drained back into the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Decanting the hose back into the humidifier is no problem. All humidifiers are equipped to allow condensed water to fall back into the humidifier chamber rather than into the flow generator. This is why we recommend that the hose be placed so that it rises from the machine initially so that water will drain back. If the machine is higher than your head and you don't do this, you might get an unpleasant snootful of water.

Fleece hose covers are inexpensive and available on Amazon, Ebay as well as the supplier sites. I don't know that I prefer one over another, but some have zippers, while others you just drop the tube in and feed it by gravity through the cover. I think I have had the same "Snugglehose" tube cover for at least 5 years, so it's not a major investment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2019, 03:21 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Decanting the hose back into the humidifier is no problem.

OK, that's good to know, thanks. Not that I'll ever try that myself, but apparently we don't after all have an ongoing epidemic of power connectors fried by being soaked with rainout water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using an Airsense 10 with climateline-auto. I am having a problem with dry mouth and want to try increased humidity. BUT even with humidity set in midrange I find that by morning the water chamber is empty. I am wondering if the humidifier runs out during the night, and whether this maybe the cause of dry mouth. Is there any way to increase the water storage of the device?
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW On draining rainout back into the machine, the humidifier tub on a ResMed 10 Series has the X tube setup on top of the tub, where it appears water flowing backwards into the tub cannot enter the air outlet. IMO at least it seems likely to be true.

My experience results in a heated hose preventing rainout, so I've not needed to reverse flow water back to the humidifier.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2019, 05:16 PM)JVWEIL Wrote: Using an Airsense 10 with climateline-auto. I am having a problem with dry mouth and want to try increased humidity. BUT even with humidity set in midrange I find that by morning the water chamber is empty. I am wondering if the humidifier runs out during the night, and whether this maybe the cause of dry mouth. Is there any way to increase the water storage of the device?

I myself am not aware of any way you increase humidifier volume. I've never heard of a solution for needing extra capacity.

Probably not what you'd like doing, but maybe running a room humidifier to assist might be an option.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2019, 05:56 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FWIW On draining rainout back into the machine, the humidifier tub on a ResMed 10 Series has the X tube setup on top of the tub, where it appears water flowing backwards into the tub cannot enter the air outlet. IMO at least it seems likely to be true.

My experience results in a heated hose preventing rainout, so I've not needed to reverse flow water back to the humidifier.

Coffee

The delivery hose on my AS10 Elite, which looks like all other AS10 models, couples to the rear of the module, not anywhere on the reservoir.  Otherwise we'd all have to disengage the hose from the reservoir in order to fill the reservoir, which is not the case.

Instead, the hose affixes to the back of the appliance's main cover with its electrical tabs making contact in a separate receptacle outside of the hose itself.  So, the hose can indeed be safely drained backwards, but the dregs will flow through a conduit once they are inside the appliance and emerge at the outflow aperture of the reservoir, merging once again with the contents.  Kinda nifty.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2019, 06:05 PM)mesenteria Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 05:56 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FWIW On draining rainout back into the machine, the humidifier tub on a ResMed 10 Series has the X tube setup on top of the tub, where it appears water flowing backwards into the tub cannot enter the air outlet. IMO at least it seems likely to be true.

Coffee

The delivery hose on my AS10 Elite, which looks like all other AS10 models, couples to the rear of the module, not anywhere on the reservoir.  Otherwise we'd all have to disengage the hose from the reservoir in order to fill the reservoir, which is not the case.

Instead, the hose affixes to the back of the appliance's main cover with its electrical tabs making contact in a separate receptacle outside of the hose itself.  So, the hose can indeed be safely drained backwards, but the dregs will flow through a conduit once they are inside the appliance and emerge at the outflow aperture of the reservoir, merging once again with the contents.  Kinda nifty.

Yep, same as my ASV.

Have a Coffee on me for the clarification and explanation.
Post Reply Post Reply
The X-tube in the humidifier tub drains any liquids returning from the hose to the reservoir through an open slot in the bottom. The flow generator also seals to the humidifier chamber, and the pressurizes it. Take a look at how it's constructed, and you will understand there is no connection between the outlet tube and flow generator that water could flow through.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO I think ResMed engineering did a nice little trick with the design on that X pipe setup. It certainly prevents water from entering the main compartment.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 80 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,000 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 454 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 217 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 583 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.