Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Humidity vs Air temperature
Humidity vs Air temperature
I have run the temperature on my Bi-PAP at 5 for a long time.  Increasingly I feel the resulting 'warm' air lacks Oxygen (doesn't) where cooler air does not.  Finally turned temp to 0 and put water in tank for air to merely pass across.  This resulted in a dry airway creating more mucus than humidity when on 5 setting.  But, AIR WAS COOL AND I PERCEIVED ADEQUATE OXYGEN.  Next day went to 2 and air was still cool enough to feel I was getting adequate Oxygen but dryness was still present.  Know if I keep marching the temperature/humidity up it's going to get uncomfortably warm again.
I absolutely ruled out the heated hose long ago and don't know how others can endure it.

Any one else wrestle with this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Humidity vs Air temperature
The hose is heated to prevent the moisture in the newly laden air passing through it from losing its moisture content to the cool walls of the hose.  I wouldn't dream of heating my hose any warmer than absolutely necessary, which in my case is 24* deg C.  I use a setting of '1' for 'humidity'.  A warm hose may raise discomfort level in addition to retaining moisture content in the air, but I would think it would have to be at least four deg C above a setting of 24 deg.

I would fiddle with the humidity first to establish a baseline comfort level, and then fiddle with the hose temperature until you know for a fact that you have water condensation at the nadir of the major hose curve by morning. At that setting, add one and see how it goes.

Remember, you can place the bulk of your hose under your top cover(s).  It's what I do, and that helps to reduce the need to heat the hose.

*75 deg F.
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine came with a heated hose, but I've yet to turn it on. I've experimented with humidity levels, and truth-be-told, didn't see much of a difference. I now just leave my humidity control on auto. 

I do have a hose cover, but that's more for noise control. I use a hose hanger and it works very well for hose management. 

I just don't have much luck with subtle differences when it comes to using the CPAP controls.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
zzzZorro, it's been a while since you posted, and I was getting concerned something happened. You have been through quite a bit on your CPAP journey, so I'm sure the humidity issue has a solution. You are adding humdity one notch at a time, and that is the way to find what is comfortable. My only suggestion is to be sure you are on manual mode for humidity where the humidity and tube temperature settings can be made separately. The Auto mode has less predictable results. I find 3 in summer and 4 in winter work well for me, and I drop the tube temp from 80 in winter to 76 in summer. YMMV. Nice to see you back.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2020, 06:04 PM)zzzZorro Wrote: I have run the temperature on my Bi-PAP at 5 for a long time.

That's the setting I use, and note that we are using the same CPAP machine.

I, too, hate the air being warm but a manual setting of 5 seems to work well for me. I can't stand a heated hose (for some reason it raises my CA index) and I don't like using the pre-heat feature, either. I just don't like the feel of the warmer air.

There are products like Ayr Nasal Gel that you can buy at any drug store. It might allow you to keep your humidifier at a low setting without drying out your nose.

And for congestion I love the NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit, also available at just about any drug store.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks to all, I see it is just not ME having a problem with hot air Thinking-about

SR- Always indebted to you for assisting me on getting on top of this sleep-monster.  YEH- I'm still alive!  The Bi-PAP serves me fine after a loong-time of living with each other. Using the mandatory full-face mask is teaching me slowly to keep my lips together and breathe through the nose more.  Still use the soft collar (when it is not too hot) and my AHI runs from just below 1 to about 2.  Then for some reason it will run 2-4 for awhile then cycle back to the lower 1-2's.  I tossed the heated hose in a box and went with a regular hose that is a foot or so longer than standard and put it in a soft sleeve to make sleeping with it more comfortable.  As long as AHI stays below 5 it's OK with me.

Wiith a heart condition, associated meds taken with antihistamines probably isn't a good idea (drug interaction).  Sleeping on my back (no option) I get a lot of mucus (probably heart condition and contributed to by sinus drainage) in the throat and bronchial tubes that necessitates coughing it up on occasion during the night. All necessary to avoid pneumonia.  But the hot/dry air coming from the machine only contributes to accumulation and annoyance.  Going to try a couple days marching it up one point every couple nights up to the 5 it was at. -now at 2 and air is still cool enough but not enough moisture.  Thus, my inquiry.

Thanks as usual..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods. Boodmaster 4 798 03-26-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,165 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 373 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 3,012 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense11 - How to increase humidity BlueSky1958 8 672 10-22-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Desperate for Humidity level help please luigi28me 4 651 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.