Hurricane Sandy
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

Hurricane Sandy
I hope our east coast members are stocked up on essentials already in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy which most forecasters are saying will be a record-breaking Superstorm. If you have alternative power for your CPAP like a 12-volt battery, make sure it's fully charged while you still have grid power.

BE SAFE out there folks! If you have time to check in and let us know how it's going in your area, that would be great.

From USA TODAY:

Hurricane Sandy: Superstorm Could Affect 60 Million People

[Image: ap_hurricane_sandy_south_carolina_beach_jt_121027_wg.jpg]
Beach goers watch waves generated by Hurricane Sandy along a breezy Coligny Beach Park on Hilton Head Island, S.C., Saturday morning, Oct. 27, 2012.

Hurricane Sandy is expected to affect between 50 million and 60 million people, emergency management and weather officials warned Saturday afternoon.

The storm will affect the eastern third of the country -- not just the coast -- and include inland flooding around Maryland and Pennsylvania and up to two feet of snow in West Virginia, said Louis Uccellini, director of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction.

"This is not just going to be a coastal event," said Rick Knabb, director of the National Hurricane Center. "Virginia northward should prepare for weather to go downhill over the weekend."

Given its size and expected duration of two to three days, Hurricane Sandy could turn out to be comparable to 1991's Hurricane Grace, also known as the "Perfect Storm," and a cyclone that struck near the Appalachians in November of 1950, FEMA administrator Craig Fugate said. But, Fugate said, officials don't try to make historical comparisons until after a storm hits.

Gov. Chris Christie declared a state of emergency this morning in New Jersey and issued evacuation orders for South Jersey barrier islands by Sunday afternoon in preparation for Sandy, which is expected to make landfall in Delaware late Monday or early Tuesday and has already killed 43 people in the Caribbean.

He said he expects greater damage during this storm than in Hurricane Irene last year, because Sandy is expected to linger for 48 to 60 hours. The state will be lowering its reservoir and lake levels in hopes of minimizing flooding to nearby areas. PATH trains are already using sand bags and pumps to prevent flooding, and New Jersey Central Power and Light warns residents to expect outages for a week or more after Sandy hits.

"I think this could be more severe than Irene given some of the rain projections that they're giving us," he said. "We're going to be looking at some pretty significant damage to the shore."

Meteorologists downgraded Sandy from hurricane status this morning but upgraded it back to a hurricane a few hours later, after hurricane-force winds kicked up again.

"Air Force hurricane hunters have been out flying in and around the storm and they found that it's reintensified and it's gotten back to a hurricane with peak winds of about 75 miles per hour," National Hurricane Center meteorologist Chris Lancey said.

The Navy had initially ordered all ships to leave the port of Norfolk, Va., because of the storm, it has since canceled the order because the projected storm surge and winds aren't as bad as originally expected. The ships should be able to weather the storm in port, according to the Navy.

The storm is pounding Florida beaches today with 5- to 10-foot waves and is easily visible from space, stretching hundreds of miles across.

But soon, Sandy will meet up with a cold front coming from the northwest and a high pressure system from Greenland, fueling it with enough energy to make it more powerful than the "Perfect Storm," some meteorologists say.

"This storm that is going to be impacting the mid-Atlantic and parts of the Northeast ... is going to be destructive, historic, and unfortunately life threatening," AccuWeather's Bernie Rayno said.

Sandy will make its way up the coast before making landfall, which is now expected to be around southern New Jersey or Delaware, late Monday or early Tuesday. A 4- to 10-foot coastal surge is expected to affect areas from Washington, D.C., to New York, as bad or worse than Hurricane Irene, which caused $14 billion worth of damage in 2011.

"Certainly having lived through it, lost everything in my basement -- I had 10 feet of water in my house -- this is a concern," Staten Island resident Iris Baum said.

Communities all along the East Coast are building sand walls and stocking up on supplies to ready themselves for the monster storm. It could bring almost a foot of rain, high winds and up to two feet of snow.

In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency, and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg warned residents to brace themselves.

"There's the possibility of parts of our city flooding, or high winds that could force certain bridges to be closed," Bloomberg said.

Bloomberg made the unprecedented call to evacuate low-lying parts of the city and shut down the subway system before Irene hit last year. It is not clear whether he'll implement another shutdown for Sandy.

Even residents of central Pennsylvania and Connecticut are worried. As farmers hastened to move equipment to higher ground, politicians canceled public events and residents were cautioned to prepare for days without electricity.

"Be forewarned," Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy. "Assume that you will be in the midst of flooding conditions, the likes of which you may not have seen at any of the major storms that have occurred over the last 30 years."

Fair use applies, from:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-sandy...I3KFRIs3gM

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-28-2012 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

RE: Hurricane Sandy
For our members who are Ham Radio operators:

Quote:Hurricane Watch Net Activation Plans

The Hurricane Watch Net provides communications to and from the National Hurricane Center in Miami, Florida during times of hurricane emergencies. This net (a group of trained amateur radio operators whose mission is to support the National Hurricane Center) convenes as an organized network of emergency communicators on the frequency of 14.325.00 MHz whenever a hurricane is forecast to be within 300 statute miles from landfall of any inhabited land mass in the Caribbean Sea, Central America, and the U.S. Mainland including the Gulf of Mexico coastal areas.

Whenever the Hurricane Watch Net is not active, you can hear the latest information on 14.300.00 MHz.

(Updated Sunday, October 28th @ 9:00 PM EDT (0100 UTC)

The Hurricane Watch Net will resume net operations Monday, October 29th at 8:00 AM EDT (1200 UTC). We plan to operate on our primary frequency of 14.325 MHz as well as 7.268 MHz. We will begin operations on 3.950 Mhz should band conditions dictate. We plan to operate continuously until the storm has weakened.

The Hurricane Watch Net wishes to thank all parties for allowing us the use of these frequencies and allowing a clear space to conduct our net during this dangerous event!

As a special note to those who monitor when the net is active, we ask that you please honor our request for you remain quiet unless specifically called upon for assistance.

Our primary operational goals are as follows:

1. To issue storm advisory information on a regular basis to those in the affected area of the forecast path of the storm, and

2. We will be requesting measured/observed ground-truth data from those in the affected area. We remind those reporting stations to "please" do not report to us the weather information reported by your local media. We are interested ONLY in YOUR personal observations, preferably measured by calibrated instrumentation.

Throughout this event, we remind everyone that we are also available to provide backup communications facilities to official agencies such as Emergency Operations Centers and Red Cross officials in the affected area. We will also be interested to collect and report significant damage assessment data back to FEMA officials stationed in the National Hurricane Center.

Please honor our request that you should not check in to the net unless specifically requested to do so. We will attempt to handle all communications within the capabilities of our own members, and only when required assistance is needed will we ask for your help.

As a final reminder, please monitor this web site for storm related advisory updates, graphics displays, and other data made available from the National Hurricane Center.

Thanks in advance for your support and cooperation during this storm activation.

Kind Regards,
Net Management

http://www.hwn.org/policies/activationplans.html

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

10-28-2012 08:13 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

I've sent my prayers earlier in the "Choices For Next President" thread
more prayers and best wishes to all who affected by Sandy
10-29-2012 12:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Hurricane Sandy as seen from space:

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-29-2012 12:10 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

We are way to the south of the storm but it is still impacting us. I live northwest of Asheville NC at about 2500 ft. The winds are strong! We're supposed to get a snow storm with these winds but, as with any mountain weather, it is very unpredictable.

I've charged the batteries, the cell phone, the iPod, my laptop. I've fed the birds. We have some water gathered for drinking and we have a barrel under the gutters for flushing. As it gets closer, I'll start putting water into pans and stuff for cooking and for the critters.

I learned my lesson a few winters ago. I will not go more than one night without my CPAP. We set aside money for me to stay at a hotel if necessary.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

10-29-2012 01:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

It's amazing to me how far inland the effects from this superstorm is being felt. Here in NW Indiana/Chicagoland area, they're giving marine warnings for southern Lake Michigan to expect 30-40 foot waves... with possible 20-30 foot swells coming onto the shoreline today or tomorrow.... Chicago radio stations are already announcing a ban on larger truck trailers on the Chicago Skyway due to forecasted high winds in the area.

Shock-2

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

10-29-2012 02:58 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

State-by-state updates from WeatherUnderground:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/shaunta...trynum=216

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

10-29-2012 08:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board