Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hybrid Mask or Full Face Mask
Hybrid Mask or Full Face Mask
Hi. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I was trying to use a nasal mask with a chin strap because I am a mouth breather, at first. I can't sleep. When I try to inhale through my nose, my nose "feels" clogged and I can't inhale/exhale properly. My nose is not full of congestion, it is just constricted. That comes and goes through the day. I feel pressure inside my ears from using the device. I can't sleep for more than 2 hours, if that, with it on.

I will go the DME provider today and get fitted for another mask. Which do you recommend. A full face mask or a hybrid mask? I am not sure if I will feel claustrophobia with a full face mask.

Since I have the constriction problem with my nose and since I am a mouth breather, I think I need a mask that somehow covers both my nose and mouth.

As an aside, I am being treated for conjunctivitis, it left and came back again. I rarely get conjunctivitis but when I do, it goes away pretty quick with antibiotic drops. Can the pressure from the CPAP and the mask, etc have anything to do with why I got conjunctivitis and why it came back after treatment.

I am set for 14 pressure and I use the humidification and the ramp features. Thanks for your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hybrid Mask or Full Face Mask
My nose has insufficient capacity as well.
I have to breathe through my mouth so I just stick with the full face masks.
Some are comfortable but leak too much, or the straps hurt, or the sealing surface digs into your nose bridge or the silly thing is a bear to clean properly..
I found one that is comfy, doesn't leak but its too stuffy to breathe through! Arrgh!
The list is long, but when you find one, it's like finding a good car mechanic! Smile
You'll probably want to spend a lot of time trying them all out because everyone has a different head and face.

Currently using the Quattro FX with the Respironics FullLife mask as a good back up.

Trying 6 - 10 different masks is not uncommon, so I hear.

Good luck with your quest!

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Until you get another mask, I suggest turning off the ramp. It is purely for comfort feature but since you're having trouble breathing, you need all the air you can get. Also sit up with it during the day, mask and machine on, to get used to the feel.

I don't think a hybrid would benefit you much.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nico08 and WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you on finding the right mask for you; that's the hardest part of CPAP therapy. Try masking up and using your machine as you watch TV or read and that might help you get used to it when you sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I got the Quattro FX full face mask size medium. We shall see how it works. Anyone use those special CPAP pillows to sleep on? Are they helpful? Where can you get a good price on one. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2013, 06:15 PM)nico08 Wrote: Anyone use those special CPAP pillows to sleep on? Are they helpful? Where can you get a good price on one. Thanks.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...PAP-Pillow

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 83 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.