Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hybrid mask choosing
Hybrid mask choosing
Spent this afternoon researching hybrid masks.  Apparently only three types exists.
The RespCare hybrid dual airway has adjustable height nasal pillows and a chin flap and complete with different sized fittings to customize.
The ResMed Mirage liberty has supposedly softer fixed height nasal pillows than RespCare, no chin flap and has no customization fitting I can determine (just SML mask size).
The Respironics Amara does not have nasal pillows but a "nose guard" for the nostrils.

I read hybrid threads on this board and googled various hybrid reviews.  Depending on facial shapes determines if a hybrid mask works well, just OK or forget it.  Complaints are loss of seal, not staying in place, headgear discomfort, needing to raise pressures to compensate, air blowing into eyes, loud hissing that wakes user and or bed partner, yada-yada.  Contrast with those reporting almost 100% satisfaction and praised it as being the "miracle mask".

I am using a nasal pillow mask that seems to be working but my mouth is dry so assume this is mouth breathing so think a hybrid may be answer rather than full face mask (Quattro Air example)

I went through the Apnea Board supplier lists and for most part, same mask type prices are about same, so that won't be a factor. 

Any members owned several hybrids and did one win out over another or did a new set of problem crop up with different hybrid?

I am considering using an online vendor though almost all have a no return policy or need to buy "return insurance" up front.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hybrid mask choosing
Interesting thread since I am once again looking for a hybrid since I tried the Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask two years ago.  Of the three listed above, I have tried two plus another made by Innomed.  The RespCare hybrid is the only one I have not tried, but it looks like a virtual clone of the ResMed Mirage Liberty.  Perhaps someone who has tried both of those could comment if there is any real difference.

The Amara is the only one that is usable for me (but still not that great).  My normal mask is the Quattro FX full face, but sometimes I get a nose irritation and need to use either the Amara hybrid or the Respironics FitLife Total Face mask to allow my nose to heal.  However, the only way I can get the latter mask to seal is by using diver mask sealant which is very expensive and difficult to clean off.  Besides that, the FitLife is not particularly comfortable.

So, if you are still looking for a hybrid, my personal experience is that the Amara would be the best choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Isn't the RespCare the same thing as the Innomed Hybrid? What did you think of the Innomed in use? I've seen it in person, and tried one on, but it was before I had my machine. It looked really well designed and well made.

Unfortunately the Amara View is not necessarily an option for someone with glaucoma.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're right, the RespCare is the same thing as the Innomed Hybrid.  My memory is not serving me as well as I thought.

I could not get that mask to work.  The nasal pads would not stay on my nose no matter what size I used.  I even tried several home-made modifications to no avail.  It really looked promising when I read the specs, but of all of the hybrids I tried, this one was the worst.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh! What a shame that the Innomed Hybrid didn't fit you properly. I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

You mentioned using diver mask sealant... Have you seen the Gecko Gel Pads? I wonder if they might work as an alternative to the sealant until you can find another mask that you like. They can be cut with scissors too, so a single large pad can cover more area than you'd think.

I'm really interested in Innomed's FFM, the Aspen, after seeing the thought they obviously put into designing their Hybrid. I guess I'll have to order it direct from them though (?), as I'm not seeing it for sale at the usual places. But right now the mask from my DME (F&P Simplus) is working so well that I've not been motivated to pursue it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Gecko Gel Pad.  It actually made the leakage worse.  I have probably tried every conceivable solution currently on the market as well as some home-made modifications.  It would take a book to document all I have done to combat my sleep apnea for the last 15 years.

My optimal solution that I have used for about four years (except for temporary testing of other products) is the ResMed Quattro FX full face mask with a Quietus liner and lanolin added.  That combination has proven to be consistently and the most effective for me.  Even though the company that made those liners is out of business, I still have about a hundred or so that I wash and reuse.  However, they are beginning to deteriorate and I am currently attempting to get the SilentNight Liner to work for me.  It is very comfortable and looks like it should work fine but is causing an irritation on my nose.  The company is being very cooperative in its customer support.  After my nose heals, I will try again with slightly loosened straps since the SilentNight liner is a bit thicker.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am very new to xPAP and appreciate hearing of your experiences. Thank you for the tip about using lanolin with the liner!

The SilentNight liner looks really nice; I've not heard of it before. Too bad that it is antimicrobial as I have some chemical sensitivities. hmm. I doubt that it could be the case, but do you suppose the chemical(s) might be causing the irritation?

I was intrigued with your mention of the Quietus liners, especially when I saw how similar they look to the ones I am using (RemZzz's). It turns out their creator passed away last year, but did you know that he stopped selling them after being accused of copyright infringement by the makers of the RemZzz's? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but a search of "Naturs Design v. Quietus CPAP Liners et. al." should find it.

I wonder how similar the fabric was between the two? The RemZzz's look like thin t-shirt fabric.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is Interesting about the legal problems.  I was not aware of that.  I had actually tried the RemZzz liner first and had trouble with the excess lint.  The Quietus had a tacking agent that was sprayed on one side.  It not only held the liner in place, but also eliminated the lint issue.  Other than the tacking agent, it was my perception that the two liners were the same.  I asked the owner, Matt Kesner what the tacking agent was made from and he would not reveal that information claiming it was company proprietary (even after he went out of business).  I also did not know he died.  May he rest in peace.

I do strongly suspect that the SilentNight material is causing my reaction, but it only occurs on my nose.  Perhaps that is simply because my nose is more sensitive.

I should make one cautionary comment about the lanolin.  When I told my doctor that I was using it, he was very concerned about accumulation of lipoids in my lungs (which is common when people breathe in Vaseline).  When I explained that lanolin is not petroleum based, he insisted I have a chest X-ray anyway.  The results were negative, so I personally have no concerns about continuing to use lanolin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2017, 07:01 PM)CPAPreturnee Wrote: Spent this afternoon researching hybrid masks.  Apparently only three types exists.
The RespCare hybrid dual airway has adjustable height nasal pillows and a chin flap and complete with different sized fittings to customize.
The ResMed Mirage liberty has supposedly softer fixed height nasal pillows than RespCare, no chin flap and has no customization fitting I can determine (just SML mask size).
The Respironics Amara does not have nasal pillows but a "nose guard" for the nostrils.

I read hybrid threads on this board and googled various hybrid reviews.  Depending on facial shapes determines if a hybrid mask works well, just OK or forget it.  Complaints are loss of seal, not staying in place, headgear discomfort, needing to raise pressures to compensate, air blowing into eyes, loud hissing that wakes user and or bed partner, yada-yada.  Contrast with those reporting almost 100% satisfaction and praised it as being the "miracle mask".

I am using a nasal pillow mask that seems to be working but my mouth is dry so assume this is mouth breathing so think a hybrid may be answer rather than full face mask (Quattro Air example)

I went through the Apnea Board supplier lists and for most part, same mask type prices are about same, so that won't be a factor. 

Any members owned several hybrids and did one win out over another or did a new set of problem crop up with different hybrid?

I am considering using an online vendor though almost all have a no return policy or need to buy "return insurance" up front.

I use the Amara View, and had previously used the Swift FX for Her with nasal pillows.  Honestly, the Amara is very nasal pillow-like.  It does not have parts that insert into your nares like the Swift FX or Liberty, but has a pillow your nose rests on.  The air comes through a slot in this pillow.  It's very comfortable to use and hasn't caused much irritation except for when I had the straps too tight.  If correctly fitted, the Amara View feels very comfortable and you don't have to worry about your mouth flopping open as you do with a nasal pillow only mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps the RemZzz's people have fixed the lint issue, as I've not encountered that problem. I'd also read that they would fall apart upon washing and that definitely has not been the case for me.

Interesting about the tacking agent.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 26 975 11 hours ago
Last Post: BKeeper
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 729 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 947 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Apnea Test Results and Choosing the Right CPAP? dank44 0 407 07-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dank44
  Help Choosing the Right Machine janelleb1985 4 569 06-07-2023, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,485 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Need advice on choosing a new machine Quackdoctor 6 755 03-21-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.