Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hydrogen Peroxide for Cleaning Humidifier Chamber
Hydrogen Peroxide for Cleaning Humidifier Chamber
Has anyone had success with Hydrogen Peroxide in their CPAP water tank?

It comes in 3% and 35% mixtures 
At 3% poor it in the tank
At 35% the label says the ratio to use it 1 to 11 eg 1 teaspoon to 11 teaspoon of water.

I have come across good and bad reports using it, wondering. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Usage with CPAP
My water reservoir doesn't get all that bad. Once in a while, a little mineral build-up will form, and I then take some white vinegar and pour enough in the tank to cover the bottom of it. 

I let it sit for about 15 min. or so, dump it out and then flush with water. It comes out clean as a shiny new whistle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Big Guy, Yep, I use Cetaphil baby wash to clean my mask and tank, I rinse it well and it comes out sparkling clean.
I will try your method on my hose, sounds good to me.

I was hoping if other members had used Hydrogen Peroxide and what results they had.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful if you have 35% peroxide. It will burn you. 3%i is safe to handle and adequate to sanitize a reservoir once it has been cleaned with mild detergent .
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I commonly use 3% H2O2 for cleaning the reservoir. Be aware that if you leave it in to soak for a long time, it may discolor the metal in the reservoir. It does help to quickly clean the very tight corners and seams where you might otherwise miss.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My water reservoir will be three years old in Sept. I'm using regular ole tap water and the white vinegar to clean it every now & then. We have hard water here, so we filter it so that we can drink it. 

I can't really see the need to use anything that could be thought of as caustic to clean the reservoir. If you have to be concerned about not using too much of it, it's not for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
3% peroxide is not caustic. I'm surprised to learn it can discolor the metal. It's the higher concentrations such as 35% that require gloves and eye protection.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
The bottom of the reservoir is supposed to be stainless steel, but I saw a brown tint when I left peroxide in to soak. It rubbed right out but I saw it, so no longer do more than clean and rinse.

My biggest use of peroxide is to treat the hot water heater at our cottage. The well water has some sulfur bacteria that find the how water a good place to generate some hydrogen sulfide, and about 1/2 quart of 3% peroxide is enough to aerate and knock down all odors. So the water stays fresh for showers and dishes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I used it once in my reservoir and that night it leaked. I don't know if it was coincidence, but I didn't try again
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Could an admin/mod edit this post (either the title or the original post) to clarify that the hydrogen peroxide is for *cleaning* the humidifier tub, and not for breathing?

Am I the only one who reads the title and thinks the OP wants to use hydrogen peroxide in his humidifier tub?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.