Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hydrogen Peroxide for Cleaning Humidifier Chamber
RE: Hydrogen Peroxide for Cleaning Humidifier Chamber
Done
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
spray it with disinfectant and wipe it out and rinse, wipe dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where I live, we have hard water and dry air. So I go through a tub of water each night, and pray for it to not run dry before I wake up.

When I see mineral build-up, I pour a shallow layer of vinegar in the tub and top it off with a semi-equal amount of water. Several minutes later, I rinse it out and it's as if it's new again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not a medical expert but an engineer. Limescale is dissolved by acids. That is a very simple chemical reaction. So any household acid will work. Vinegar smells a bit bad. Citric Acid is food safe and doesn’t smell at all. It will get rid of any lime scale if you let it soak.

I wouldn’t mix peroxide with plastics or metals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify, the peroxide is for organic deposits or biofilms, and vinegar (acetic acid), lime, lemon or other juice (citric acid) works for lime scale. Another good product is most cola that contains phosphoric acid in low concentration.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hydrogen Peroxide Usage with CPAP
(05-04-2021, 11:45 PM)Melman Wrote: 3% [peroxide] is safe to handle and adequate to sanitize a reservoir once it has been cleaned with mild detergent .

Glad you told us that. But I've been using the peroxide first fallowed by dish detergent. I started using peroxide when I first saw you suggest it a couple of years ago. It really helps get the slime out of the nooks and crannies in the humidifier tub.

I don't have hard water so mineral deposits are never and issue.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the 'table top' variety HP that one is most likely to find on the shelves to clean my reservoir.  I have done this twice now, and then only because it noticed something unusual about the dregs or saw a discoloration on the tub wall.  In both instances, it was a biofilm that was best gotten rid of, and the 3% HP did the trick.  I would suggest rinsing at least three times, with a swish, to remove most of the HP after it has had a couple of minutes to react with any organic matter.

I leave tap water, which is locally superior in quality, very low dissolved minerals, tannins, lignins, etc, in my reservoir for four days at a time, then discard the dregs, rinse once, and refill.  My reservoir looks like new, now 3.5 years into its service.
Post Reply Post Reply
The detergent is first to remove as much organic matter as possible so the peroxide doesn't breakdown before sanitization is complete. There's no need to wash after because the residual peroxide on surfaces breaks down to O2 and H2O.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Hello. I was Google searching this and other such topics as I am new to using CPAP.
I am an RT and looking on real life use and experiences. 

I also have found where several doctors even recommend using H2O2 in nebulizers as an antiviral treatment. Yes also on the vid!
Been used for years for colds! 1 to 18, 3% to NSS in a neb. 

As for use in CPAP cleaning. It works great.
As for use in humidifier, I currently use it every few days to keep down germs.
I have humidifier on higher settings and it has heated tubbing (max) so lot of rain out because it has seriously dried my sinuses. So I need to clean often.

I add just enough H2O2 3% food grade 1st to cover bottom. Swish around then distilled water to full. So this is more diluted than recommended for nebulization. And that is droplet form!

Also, with the heater it decomposes faster to water and O2.

As an asthmatic, I worried of any reaction so started very light and just up to above and no problems.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 34 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 187 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 142 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,749 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.