Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hygeine
Hygeine
I guess we all know that hygiene with our masks is very important to both provide safe masks and also to get the longest use of them. I have been told different ideas of what to use when doing daily washing of a mask, Resmed say to use pure soap (whatever that may be) and others say to use mild dishwashing soap (detergent).

What do you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hygeine
Hi kmar92,
I use mild dish soap, (Ivory liquid,) in warm water once a week to clean my mask, hose and humidifier chamber.
If you are concerned about the alkahol that's in most of the dish soaps, (which some of the mask manufacturers say that it can break down the cushions,) another good cleaner to use is Control III in warm water.
You will find that at suppliers on the suppliers list here on the board.
By the way, as far as the dish soap I use, I haven't noticed any breakdown of the mask parts or cushions.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2013, 06:06 AM)kmar92 Wrote: I guess we all know that hygiene with our masks is very important to both provide safe masks and also to get the longest use of them. I have been told different ideas of what to use when doing daily washing of a mask, Resmed say to use pure soap (whatever that may be) and others say to use mild dishwashing soap (detergent).

What do you use?

Welcome. I have been told by previous DME's to use Dawn dishwashing soap but my new DME says to use Dawn dishwashing soap and white vinegar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use anti-bacterial Softsoap; but only wash my equipment once a week. Big Grin
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use soaps that do not leave any film after, like dishwashing soap. Hand soaps and other types of surfactants leave films behind that can either provide for bacterial growth or cause irritation of the skin and lead to the break down of the silicon in the mask. Hot water and air dry or with paper towels, never cloth towels. If you are using nasal pillows, pay attention to the inner lining of the pillow, as that can trap water. Most dishwashing soaps as safe to use, as the soap is only on the mask for a moment before being washed away. Daily washing generally is not necessary, however daily drying is. The best method, if you use nasal pillows at least, is to turn off the humidifier and empty it, turn off the auto-off, and take out the SD card, then let it run for half an hour to forty minutes - the forced air will dry the humidifier interior, the hose interior and the mask interior. Full Face masks may need another method.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used 5% white vinegar and warm water for the mask, tubing and water tank.
The mask cushion pops out of my mask; so I remove it and clean them separately.
Wipe down and air dry.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Standard home dishwasher and regular grocery store house brand dishwashing powder. I get good lifetime on my parts, and have been doing it that way for 8 years or so.

Once a week for me, but I do sometimes switch masks in the middle of the week and wash both of them at the end of the week.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dishwasher or hand wash with vinegar dilution soak. If ill (like cold) or it's really nasty (during allergy season) I use our low stink dish soap then rinse very well.

But I am way lazy on washing my stuff. Nasal pillows are easy to ignore and even easier to clean.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just cannot bring myself to put my cpap stuff in the dishwasher where dirty dishes were!! I laugh at myself b/c of that but it is what it is!! Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2013, 12:48 PM)me50 Wrote: I just cannot bring myself to put my cpap stuff in the dishwasher where dirty dishes were!! I laugh at myself b/c of that but it is what it is!! Laugh-a-lot

My mask is clean enough to eat off of.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA count in Sleepy head and sleep hygeine storywizard 26 7,504 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Buckeyedog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.