Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hygeine
RE: Hygeine
I guess I'm the oddball because I wash and clean my mask daily. I rinse the water tank every day and wash it thoroughly every few weeks. I rinse the hose every few weeks.

I have been using hand soap but thinking about switching to dishwashing detergent or vinegar based on reading this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope you're getting the hose dry every time. Once when I got sloppy for a long time, I saw mold inside the hose!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2013, 12:12 AM)lincolnr Wrote: I hope you're getting the hose dry every time. Once when I got sloppy for a long time, I saw mold inside the hose!

How are you cleaning your hose and other supplies?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use dawn dish soap to wash mask, humidifier container and hose. I sprinkle, maybe 1/2 teaspoon of dawn in a plastic dish pan and fill with warm/hot water. First take mask apart and wash and rinse all parts and then wash humidifier container then wash and rinse hose forward and backward twice. Rinse hose thoroughly.

After every use I place my mask so it is in an upturned position to dry. I hang my hose so it can dry.

Using this procedure I only have to wash my mask and stuff about once very other month!

I have been using this procedure for the last 5 years with no bad effects.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2013, 03:09 AM)me50 Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 12:12 AM)lincolnr Wrote: I hope you're getting the hose dry every time. Once when I got sloppy for a long time, I saw mold inside the hose!

How are you cleaning your hose and other supplies?

I am no paragon of cleanliness, but when I do get around to cleaning my hose, I just slosh water with detergent and a bit of vinegar around in it. I clean my tank with vinegar, once in a great while. I clean my mask in the sink with water and dishwashing liquid. The time there was mold in the hose I had just let it go without cleaning for too long. Also, sometimes I don't empty the tank in the morning, though I should!
Post Reply Post Reply
Per instructions of the sleep tech who titrated me I've used Ivory liquid hand soap since I got my equipment. Hand wash the nasal pillows with a squirt of soap and water every morning to remove grease, etc. Then rinse, shake out, and hang to dry. Use distilled water in my humidifier and am convinced hose and tub stay a lot cleaner with no mineral deposits. Empty and wipe out the tub every morning. Looks like new. Every week or two use a plastic dish tub I bought specifically for cleaning my stuff and hand wash with an Ivory solution in water. Then rinse and hang everything to dry. So far so good.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use CPAP Mask Wipes (AG Industries) once every few days. About once a month, I run the plastic parts through the dishwasher and the elastic straps through the washing machine. Regarding the hoses, I have four hoses. While one is being used, the other three are drying out. Consequently, I almost never clean my hoses.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick question on the mask cleaning. Sometimes it is not possibly to wash the mask and air dry it as recommended. e.g. when traveling. I have read that you can use wipes of a certain brand which I will not mention (but it is to do with a number and an action). Just wondering does anyone know if you can use a baby wipe - the type that is designed to use on a babies butt?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my mask and humidifier daily with warm water and Ivory liquid.
Once a week I wash the hose, headgear, humidifier seal and chin strap in Ivory liquid.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can mention brand names as long as the brand name is not a website name as well. The best example is Amazon's full name.

Any kind of wipe would do as long as it does not contain alcohol which can break down silicone. Nor would you want anything that is going to leave a film behind (like a lotion) that is going to interfere with the seal. Anything that leaves a perfumy smell behind should also be avoided unless you want to smell that all night.

You do not have to wash the mask every night as long as you do not have overly oily skin or the like. Some masks it is best to do it due to the seal, other masks are more forgiving. If you need to skip a night, go ahead. Be a rebel.

They do make wipes for masks. I have tried them. I found the citrus smell to be a little overpowering and never used them but twice.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA count in Sleepy head and sleep hygeine storywizard 26 7,469 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Buckeyedog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.