Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hyper active brain and sleep
Question 
Hyper active brain and sleep
I have been doing every thing right regarding my sleep, but when it comes to getting deep sleep...there is no way I can turn off that chatter going on in my brain. For a while I was doing great with mindfulness meditation at bedtime. Then other health issues jumped on board and all the success I had there flew out the window.

Have be told via sleep studies, I have alpha intrusions. That would be my brain working over time, right? Not all sleep docs believe in that. Well, yesterday I saw a neurologist who said I have an overactive brain and she gave me generic Lexapro to try. Of course one night will not show any results.

Anyone have a similar issue? Huh I also have tinnitus, mild burning and tingling foot neuropathy and I know that these can affect sleep also.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hyper active brain and sleep
Record this and follow along in your mind.
If you do not like the sound of your own voice you can find it on line as an audio file. The Lucinda Bassett sleep mp3 can also be found on line. I have used it for years and am so trained I can skip most of it and do the last line and am gone in seconds.
Good luck!

"My
arms and hands are
heavy and warm". Then I will pause long enough for you to silently, mentally
repeat the phrase to
yourself while just
allowing yourself to
imagine and feel what that phrase suggests to you.
Just continue sitting back with your eyes closed and
let your mind and body relax deeply and
comfortably. I feel quite quiet. My feet feel heavy, heavy
and relaxed.
My calves, my knees,
thighs and hips feel
heavy, relaxed and comfortable.
My solar plexis and the whole central portion of my body feel relaxed and
quiet. My neck, my jaws, and my forehead feel relaxed;
they feel comfortable and smooth.
My shoulders, arms, andhands feel heavy, relaxed and comfortable. My arms and hands are heavy and warm.
My hands are warm.
My hands are warm,
relaxed and warm.
I feel quite quiet. My mind is quiet. I withdraw my thoughts
from the surroundings and I feel serene and still.
My mind is calm and
quiet and, I feel an inward quietness.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark, that reminds me of the Silva Mind Control I used long ago. This can work..yes, it takes effort. Will look it up...thanks. Not too fond of listening to my own voice! Don't like heavy duty meds. It was the combination of several things that put me in this state!
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be a melatonin thing. Look into this. Blue-ish light only before sundown, then warmer, yellow-ish color temp light until bedtime, which includes all screens. That will regulate your melatonin production cycle, and by that, your circadian cycle. F.lux will help with the screens (free download, usually).

I have the tinnitus. I use a free app called Storm Sim which lets you fine tune rainstorm clips (including toning down the thunder so it does not wake you back up) with ridiculously-granular control. It also has a timer and slow fade shutoff. I use it every night to fall asleep, Bluetoothing it from my phone to my Amazon Echo. The idea here is that the rain sounds overpower and distract you from the tinnitus sounds.

They even have hearing aids that have sound generators built in to them for this purpose. My audiologist says tinnitus is caused by the hairs in the cochlea getting weak from age and drooping so that they touch one another, and the touching is interpreted as a vibration, which is of course interpreted as sound. Sound that isn't really there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks Mark, this worked really great, until I got to the last 2 lines... Laugh-a-lot

(06-19-2015, 10:16 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: "My
arms and hands are
heavy and warm". Then I will pause long enough for you to silently, mentally
repeat the phrase to
yourself while just
allowing yourself to
imagine and feel what that phrase suggests to you.
Just continue sitting back with your eyes closed and
let your mind and body relax deeply and
comfortably. I feel quite quiet. My feet feel heavy, heavy
and relaxed.
My calves, my knees,
thighs and hips feel
heavy, relaxed and comfortable.
My solar plexis and the whole central portion of my body feel relaxed and
quiet. My neck, my jaws, and my forehead feel relaxed;
they feel comfortable and smooth.
My shoulders, arms, andhands feel heavy, relaxed and comfortable. My arms and hands are heavy and warm.
My hands are warm.
My hands are warm,
relaxed and warm.
I feel quite quiet. My mind is quiet. I withdraw my thoughts
from the surroundings and I feel serene and still.
My mind is calm and
quiet and, I feel an inward quietness.
I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and I am not going to take it any more!
Multiple heath probs I now ascribe to 40+ yrs sleep apnea.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
All ran together LOL

I haven't been to a Zendo for a while but I highly recommend Soto Zen meditation for quieting the mind and possibly even learning to accept the tinnitus so it doesn't bother you. I must make a Seiza bench so I can return to the practice as I am so out of shape I cannot sit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Started to try a visual and sensing relaxation from scalp down. Stopped it long time ago. Once I would get to my shoulders and be asleep. Life does get busier over time. Time to bring back old practices it seems..

I have a nice rain MP3 I can use. Varying sounds that remind me of being on our porch during a gentle rain. Almost the right level. Another is the sound of waves hitting on a sailboat. No seagulls!! Been around water all my life, so it fits too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I and sometimes we lived on our boat down island.
"I wanna go back to the islands"
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had some success with the exercises in a book by Barry Krakow: Sound Sleep Sound Mind. It went well along with meditation before sleep...The most important thing for me was closure of the day's events, accepting there was nothing I could do, right now before sleep, to alter anything...learning to let go was a big one for me, and really has helped..

Good luck..

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
I just start saying "Now I lay me down to sle..." zzzzz wife hates how fast I can fall to sleep. staying asleep is another thread. Confused
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 1 43 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 176 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 679 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,377 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  [Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR? youthfulapnea 4 389 01-27-2024, 04:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.