Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypercapnia
Hypercapnia
Could anyone share their opinion about hypercapnia and CPAP ? I recently had some blood work done because of an electrolyte inbalance. The co2 level in the blood was higher than the lab value. I don't smoke and I don't think I have asthma either.

Is it possible that I could be rebreathing the CO2 because I pull the blankets way up over my head even though I have my CPAP machine going every night? I use the Swift FX for her mask and my machine is the S9 Autoset.

I have the climateline hose and also use the short stretch hose that attaches to the mask at one end and also attaches to the climateline at the other end.

Frequently I will wake up with a headache in the morning and I've never had many cpap problems until recently. My AHI is anywhere from 0.2 to 2.5.

My husband suggested that maybe my headaches and the higher CO2 level could be because I cover my head with our blankets.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypercapnia
(04-11-2013, 10:37 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Is it possible that I could be rebreathing the CO2 because I pull the blankets way up over my head even though I have my CPAP machine going every night?
Re-breathing might occur if vents partly blocked by bed covers and not allowing CO2 completely flushed but you can get an oximeter to monitor oxygen levels during the night

Post Reply Post Reply
But that level would be gone with just a few minutes of waking. CO2 is expelled when we breathe out, the body is constantly doing this with each breath. It would not take long for the blood to even out.

Or at least that's how I understand it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
While it's possible to cause CO2 buildup by blocking the vents, I have my doubts that any reasonable amount of blankets will block the outflow enough to matter. The pressure should be enough to lift up the blankets enough to let the air escape sideways, and even without that, it's not that hard to exhale through the blankets. You'll breath fresh air in through the hose, and exhale into the space under the blankets.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you sleep with your CPAP machine inhaling all the expired air from under your blankets, you should be fine.
In fact under normal operations your CPAP machine should be helping you out by keeping a constant air supply going past your nose that is always turning over.
I see that you wear nasal pillows...you may need to switch to full face mask... If your head is under the covers and your jaw drops open you will start re-breathing your own stale air!

Have you had any blood chemistry done? How's your hemoglobin & all that stuff?

Just my 2.5 cents.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess maybe I worry too much about the CO2, Venous being either low or high when I have blood work done. The last few times my potassium, sodium and chloride were all low. I'm not a HCP (health care professional) so I don't know if I've had the necessary blood work done that would answer your question Shastzi.

Just to satisfy my concerns I ordered this oximeter:
[link removed]

Not quite sure if I will understand the results, but hopefully it will provide something helpful.

In the future, please refer to the product by name rather than a link to the commercial site. Or refer to the commercial site using the Supplier's List. In this case, you would have said "I got a pulse oximeter from Supplier #1". - Moderator

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out our Wiki:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...h+the+Wiki

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2013, 10:14 AM)Bompa Wrote: Check out our Wiki:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...h+the+Wiki

Coffee

This information is really helpful. Among other things I learned is that Benzodiazepines are not particularly helpful for someone like myself with OSA. And yet, no doctor I've ever had has ever discouraged the use of Xanax for me, but just kept renewing the prescription. The Xanax was originally prescribed because of anxiety when my Mother was terminally ill and I was having a lot of anxiety. That situation is no longer necessary as my Mother passed away in 2005. I don't understand why no HCP ever said "this medication is not helpful with your OSA?"
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GrammaBear,

I think there is another thread about getting off the benzos on this board. If you can, you should try like anything to get off those, I know it can be VERY difficult. I wish you GREAT SUCCESS with that.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Methinks a lot of MD.s may be clueless when it comes to tailoring a given therapy to the individual.
Too many just hear the initial complaint and cha-ching! HERE! TAKE THIS! Call me back when you need some more.

Pathetic....

Tongue
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,790 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Equipment] Rebreathing causing Hypercapnia (CO2 – Carbon Dioxide Poisoning) HULK 64 53,438 03-27-2019, 12:06 AM
Last Post: mdmarmd
  CPAP as cause of hypercapnia symptoms Kellysfriend 22 13,640 04-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.