Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypercapnia
RE: Hypercapnia
(04-12-2013, 01:01 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi GrammaBear,

I think there is another thread about getting off the benzos on this board. If you can, you should try like anything to get off those, I know it can be VERY difficult. I wish you GREAT SUCCESS with that.

Thank you Trish. I did a search on this board about getting off the benzos...and now I'm really scared. I have an appointment with a new Family doctor next week. I thought my biggest problem was high blood pressure, but now I am ashamed to admit that I have a drug problem. Never, ever dreamed I would be 'addicted' to these drugs. I'm afraid that this new doctor will think bad things about me right away. Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
No, it's not that you are "addicted" to them in the same way someone is "addicted" to cocaine or heroin. Your BODY is addicted, not your brain. There's a difference.

It's not difficult to stop them, it just takes a lot of time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GrammaBear,
Please, don't beat up on yourself, you'll get through it;
it just takes time.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's not get silly about sleeping under the covers with CPAP. Have you ever heard about anyone without apnea suffocating from sleeping with the covers over their head? If anything, you'll be better with CPAP because you've got some fresh air being pumped in.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, if the doctor gets uppity about you being on Benzos its the fault of HIS PROFESSION for not overseeing your therapy.
If you get a snide remark just remind him/her that you are aware of the problem and that's why you're here.
***To Get Off That Crap!***

See? That was easy, wasn't it?

=^.^=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2013, 10:37 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Frequently I will wake up with a headache in the morning and I've never had many cpap problems until recently. My AHI is anywhere from 0.2 to 2.5.

My husband suggested that maybe my headaches and the higher CO2 level could be because I cover my head with our blankets.

Hi GrammaBear,

The reason most CPAP machines cannot be set to pressures below 4 cmH2O is because at pressures lower than 4 the stale air might not be flushed out fast enough. The higher the pressure, the less likely it is that stale air is being re-breathed. Since your profile says you are using a minimum pressure of 11, there really cannot be any problem that you aren't getting fresh air.

Being under the covers will have absolutely no effect on how much fresh air you are getting, unless the machine's air inlet is also under the covers. (And, no doubt, that's not the case.)

If your mouth opens and you have mouth leaking under the covers, this would only increase the air flow. There would be plenty of fresh air but (because of the large leak) the pressure in your throat would probably be too low to keep your airway open. So large leak can prevent the machine from preventing apneas. Apneas often cause headaches.

Having a "good" AHI below 5 does not tell you whether the apneas were short (merely preventing you from reaching deep, restful sleep) or long (causing serious Oxygen desaturations, perhaps leading to headaches and other more serious problems).

I suggest it would be best if you can see if you can manage to download and use ResScan or SleepyHead to monitor your sleep data. You have a great machine for that, and people here on the forum to help you figure out how to do it.

In any case, I think the fact that recently you have started having headaches shows it would be very helpful to take a close look at your machine's data, to be sure your Sleep Apnea is being adequately treated.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep most nights with a pillow over my head. We have a fish tank with a filter that makes a lot of noise. For some reason, many nights it just seems to get louder and louder the longer I lay there. So I got into the habit of putting an extra pillow over my head. It muffles it just enough that I can sleep.

Kids for eons have slept completely under covers and they did just fine.

Hikers sleep inside their sleeping bags.

If you put a plastic bag over your head and sealed it around your neck, you would eventually suffocate. Put a blanket over your head and sleep, and you'll be fine. Well, as long as the plastic bag is still not there. LOL
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,786 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Equipment] Rebreathing causing Hypercapnia (CO2 – Carbon Dioxide Poisoning) HULK 64 53,433 03-27-2019, 12:06 AM
Last Post: mdmarmd
  CPAP as cause of hypercapnia symptoms Kellysfriend 22 13,640 04-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.