Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypertension and CPAP
Hypertension and CPAP
I was diagnosed with hypertension (high blood pressure) last year and started taking some meds to lower it.

It seemed to be working with readings around the 120/80 range.

When I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea a few months ago and started CPAP therapy I thought it might help my HT as sleep apnoea is supposed to cause high blood pressure.

My sleeping is much improved with AHI scores in the sub 5 region (from 70+) but my BP seems to have raised (despite me continuing my meds).

Does anyone have any experience of this? Can CPAP raise you BP?

It may just be my meds need adjusting but it is puzzling.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypertension and CPAP
Cpap should not cause your BP to rise, it should actually stabilize or be lower after being on cpap for awhile.

What do you mean by AHI in the "sub" 5 region? What does your AHI average? What is the breakdown of your AHI. Are you experiencing a lot of clear airways?

If your AHI is well controlled and you feel good when you wake up in the morning, then I suggest you have a discussion with your doctor about your BP rising.
An adjustment in your meds may be in order.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
usually between 3 and 5 occasionally as low as 1 with CAI scores of below 1 and very occasionally 1.5. leaks at zero or maybe 1-2%.

I wake up fine, no headaches no sleepiness.

suspect it's the meds but wondered if there was a known effect?
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your BP at this time? May I ask what med(s) your GP (I assume GP) put you on for HTN?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not a known effect. CPAP almost always lowers the BP, not increases it. It could be just an adjustment period and nothing more. However, it is always good to discuss this with your physician. Any BP increases are not good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
around the 150-160/90-100 range. it had been 120/80ish.

I saw the nurse today and the doc should be getting back to me with an updated prescription tomorrow.

to be fair I have had a stressy week but even so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 667 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Length of Time ? [pulmonary hypertension decrease] Solar Rays 4 1,381 08-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Pulmonary Hypertension Haynbo 8 1,968 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  pulse ox with download capability; pulmonary hypertension TonyP 5 1,571 10-30-2017, 07:04 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Apnea and Pulmonary Hypertension Haynbo 26 3,814 03-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Haynbo
  xpap treatment for pulmonary arterial hypertension- right ventricular dysfunction 0rangebear 0 1,446 11-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  CPAP and hypertension. Hanrahan 5 2,307 10-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.