Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypnic jerks
Hypnic jerks
Do any others get hypnic jerks? 

This is when you are starting to fall asleep and literally jerk awake with a muscle twitch of some part of your body or sometimes your whole body. It is really worrying and frustrating as it stops you from falling asleep even though you are really tired. I tried to nap this pm as I felt really tired, but found that I couldn't.  
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypnic jerks
It’s commonly called Myoclonus

Google for several good articles. Mayo has a good one. 

It is pretty common when falling asleep.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
I get this from time to time. Especially when I'm anxious. At their worst, I get them multiple times when falling asleep. I've found myself jerking myself awake at least 5 to 10 times before settling into sleep for the night. Hydration helps me too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also get mulitple events, when I get an attack. Thankfully they seem to ae cleared up for now.
Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP ay 8 cm. fixed pressure.

Resmed AirFit F230 mask. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I would get one or two a night just before falling asleep. Recently realized I no longer do this since being on CPAP. Yet another thing to add to the growing list of what CPAP has helped with.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maybe I have apnea, maybe not, are all sleep doc jerks? cathyf 86 7,142 05-05-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Couple of questions [BiPAP vs. CPAP w/ EPR & hose 'jerks'] CactusJack 3 1,071 09-19-2020, 07:50 PM
Last Post: CactusJack

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.