GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Hypoglycemia - how do you feel?
For those of you who have diabetes and use insulin, how do you feel when you have a 'low' (hypoglycemia) episode? I mean, how do you really feel? Lately it seems that when I have a low, I feel wiped out afterwards. I am working with my Endo to limit those episodes, but I don't think anyone can totally eliminate them or maybe I'm wrong?
08-04-2016 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: no
CPAP Pressure: 8 (testing 7.8-10)

Other Comments: New to AirSense 10 and AirFit P10, but 4 years on prev unit

RE: Hypoglycemia - how do you feel?
I'm not diabetic, but I have mild hypoglycemia. My doctor said I didn't; the dietician said she has seen people with numbers "on the border" who do have it. I nearly fainted during the sugar test - had to ask for a bed to lay on - and I have symptoms, so I say I do have it.

My episodes show up as brain going foggy/ I'm not making smart decisions (such as, to eat now, rather than finishing mowing the lawn). And I get an overwhelming urge to lay down and nap; so I frequently DO.

However, other than taking quite a while to recover from that nap (perhaps that's the sensation you are having) I don't have any real after effects. I haven't let myself get that way for several years now, so I may be forgetting a bit ....

(ie I'm not sure I've helped, but "BUMP" in case others can.)
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2016 04:21 PM by BadGoodDeb.)
08-04-2016 04:20 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Both my brother and late Dad would get shakey legs when they stood. That was usually the first symptom. I am recent to insulin and have not yet had a low.

Is it preventable? Well, there are steps to prevent it, but I honestly don't know enough about it yet to give any advise. In my BIL's case, glipizide was causing his lows. Now they want him to maintain an A1C between 7 and 8 instead of 6 to 7. He has not had a low episode since, but he is 75 - they are less worried about damage from diabetes than having him pass out when he's home alone.
08-04-2016 08:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(08-04-2016 04:20 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:  I'm not diabetic, but I have mild hypoglycemia. My doctor said I didn't; the dietician said she has seen people with numbers "on the border" who do have it. I nearly fainted during the sugar test - had to ask for a bed to lay on - and I have symptoms, so I say I do have it.

My episodes show up as brain going foggy/ I'm not making smart decisions (such as, to eat now, rather than finishing mowing the lawn). And I get an overwhelming urge to lay down and nap; so I frequently DO.

However, other than taking quite a while to recover from that nap (perhaps that's the sensation you are having) I don't have any real after effects. I haven't let myself get that way for several years now, so I may be forgetting a bit ....

(ie I'm not sure I've helped, but "BUMP" in case others can.)

My episodes also show up as brain going foggy and/or not making smart decisions such as continuing with the task at hand instead of taking time to treat the low, now, instead of later. I rarely take a nap but perhaps I would be better off if I did nap after a low as I feel so very tired for quite a while.
08-04-2016 08:45 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

(08-04-2016 08:18 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  Both my brother and late Dad would get shakey legs when they stood. That was usually the first symptom. I am recent to insulin and have not yet had a low.

Is it preventable? Well, there are steps to prevent it, but I honestly don't know enough about it yet to give any advise. In my BIL's case, glipizide was causing his lows. Now they want him to maintain an A1C between 7 and 8 instead of 6 to 7. He has not had a low episode since, but he is 75 - they are less worried about damage from diabetes than having him pass out when he's home alone.

I understand about your BIL trying to maintain an A1C in the 7-8 range instead of 6-7 range. The Endo tells me that when one gets older we tend to take longer to recover from a low, so whenever possible try to avoid the low to begin with. It isn't like anyone intentionally decides "Oh well, today I will take too much insulin so I have a low." Sometimes it just happens.

For example, this morning I had 2 scrambled eggs with a sausage pattie and a slice of wheat toast. I took insulin for the toast and 2 hrs later my blood sugar dropped to 57. The only reason I can think of that may have caused this is that the weather where we live is very hot, as is the weather over much of the US. Hot weather will often cause a low because of increased insulin sensitivity.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
08-04-2016 08:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

I can't eat cold cereal with skim milk for breakfast - even Cheerios, which isn't overtly sugared. I wind up compelled to nap 1-2 hours later -- when I've just gotten up! So I eat large protein breakfasts.

I can sometimes eat cereal for *supper* .... so it must be the long fast before breakfast that gets me.
08-05-2016 12:09 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

(08-05-2016 12:09 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:  I can't eat cold cereal with skim milk for breakfast - even Cheerios, which isn't overtly sugared. I wind up compelled to nap 1-2 hours later -- when I've just gotten up! So I eat large protein breakfasts.

I can sometimes eat cereal for *supper* .... so it must be the long fast before breakfast that gets me.

For me it isn't so much the sugar in cereal but the carb content that spikes me into the stratosphere as far as blood glucose rise. I used to love cereal and milk, but I don't eat it much anymore because of what it does to my blood sugar.
08-05-2016 05:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

(08-04-2016 08:52 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  For example, this morning I had 2 scrambled eggs with a sausage pattie and a slice of wheat toast. I took insulin for the toast and 2 hrs later my blood sugar dropped to 57. The only reason I can think of that may have caused this is that the weather where we live is very hot, as is the weather over much of the US. Hot weather will often cause a low because of increased insulin sensitivity.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I saw an endo for the first time today and he specifically mentioned staying hydrated as even mild dehydration can cause a low unexpectedly. I thought I should mention that because, well, I didn't know, maybe you don't either!?
08-05-2016 07:01 PM
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

No, I didn't know that! However, I am trying to really drink 64 ounces each day, by filling two 32 oz bottles and getting them emptied. That's at my heart doc's suggestion.

Also, per the previous post, I didn't realize it was just *carbs* , not particularly sugar. I'll watch that. Although, oatmeal doesn't usually bother me too much, even with brown sugar on it. Is that a less glycemic carb, perhaps?
08-05-2016 07:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

I didn't know about dehydration causing a unexpected low either. It is always good to learn new things.

Oatmeal, for me at least, is a slower digesting carb but it still sends my blood sugar spiking. However if I take my meal time insulin 20-30 minutes ahead of eating the oatmeal, I can 'sometimes' sneak a bowl of oatmeal past the blood sugar monster in me anyways. Thinking-about
08-05-2016 07:13 PM