Hypoglycemia - how do you feel?
icyura10 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Respironiscs DreamWear under the nose nasal ma
Humidifier: INCLUDED
CPAP Pressure: IPAP (20); EPAP (12); PS (8)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in!

Sex: Male
Location: I'm just a Galactic Traveler Traversing the Universe on a Blue Rock!

RE: Hypoglycemia - how do you feel?
My parents used to carry various things in the trunk for my dad. A few small 1 tbs of honey packets. They said orange juice reacted the quickest, but, those 4 oz cans tended to rot in the trunk with heat. So crackers, cookies and the like but if your mouth was already dry, trying to swallow a dry cookie got kinda tough. And on the really rare case when things went absolutely wrong in all directions, it was ER where they almost always gave 50CC's or more of DX10.

Frequently the first indication was his voice would get a little shaky, followed by a mild slur and progressing to his eyes becoming glass like orbs... and that's when (if we were at home would call 911 as they usually have DX10 in the truck), if we were out and about and close to a fire station, we'd bee-line it there for help and when all else failed we'd drag out our pilots licenses and fly to the ER.

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2016 03:25 PM by icyura10.)
08-11-2016 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

(08-11-2016 03:24 PM)icyura10 Wrote:  My parents used to carry various things in the trunk for my dad. A few small 1 tbs of honey packets. They said orange juice reacted the quickest, but, those 4 oz cans tended to rot in the trunk with heat. So crackers, cookies and the like but if your mouth was already dry, trying to swallow a dry cookie got kinda tough. And on the really rare case when things went absolutely wrong in all directions, it was ER where they almost always gave 50CC's or more of DX10.

Frequently the first indication was his voice would get a little shaky, followed by a mild slur and progressing to his eyes becoming glass like orbs... and that's when (if we were at home would call 911 as they usually have DX10 in the truck), if we were out and about and close to a fire station, we'd bee-line it there for help and when all else failed we'd drag out our pilots licenses and fly to the ER.

Your Dad was not lucky to have diabetes, but he was lucky that his family "had his back" so to speak and looked out for his well being. I appreciate you sharing your story. I sometimes grow weary of trying to chew skittles and something sweet. I believe I will try having crackers on hand and see how that works for me.

Out of curiosity, did your Dad feel sick or nauseous after receiving the DX10?
08-11-2016 03:40 PM
icyura10 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Respironiscs DreamWear under the nose nasal ma
Humidifier: INCLUDED
CPAP Pressure: IPAP (20); EPAP (12); PS (8)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in!

Sex: Male
Location: I'm just a Galactic Traveler Traversing the Universe on a Blue Rock!

(08-11-2016 03:40 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Your Dad was not lucky to have diabetes, but he was lucky that his family "had his back" so to speak and looked out for his well being. I appreciate you sharing your story. I sometimes grow weary of trying to chew skittles and something sweet. I believe I will try having crackers on hand and see how that works for me.

Out of curiosity, did your Dad feel sick or nauseous after receiving the DX10?

no, Dad never felt sick or nauseous after getting the DX10... by that time his insulin level was so high and his sugar level so low, he was delirious at best...

After receiving the DX10, he'd start to recover almost immediately, but it was always short lived... and we'd have to sit and watch him in ER and reach out and touch a nurse for another round of DX10 as he'd slip back into a near coma. They'd usually admit him for a minimum of 24 hrs to validate no damage to any of his other vital organs... and that he didn't relapse.

In Dad's case, (happened 3 x) it turned out to be a combination of he'd been really ill, to the point he wasn't eating, then using his glucose meter and it told him he needed to use x units of insulin. This would go on for a few days. We'd watch his mental acuity deteriorate, then all HE** would break loose (and I'd use my pilots license to fly the friendly freeways in well in excess of 120 MPH [Oh, I should tell you I drive a cop car but I'm not a cop!]).

So we learned to have two glucose meters on hand so if things didn't seem quite right, we'd do another test and make the determination then. (Mom started carrying a glucose meter in her purse along with his nitro-stat and a few other things... I always wondered what those man beaters were good for! :too-funnySmile

But, despite all of it, I consider myself fortunate to still have them both around and in reasonably good condition considering everything.

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2016 05:25 PM by icyura10.)
08-16-2016 05:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board