Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopnea and alpha intrusions
RE: Hypopnea and alpha intrusions
Thank you, Sleeprider. I appreciate the advice and am pursuing an appointment with someone else who can help me. I did not see the doctor who interpreted the sleep study. It was ordered by my rheumatologist who has been trying to find the cause of my fatigue. He is, however, heeding the advice of Doctor who interpreted the sleep study, so I think I will try to obtain an appointment with someone else for a second opinion. I have an appointment with a friend who is a dentist next week to discuss a mouthpiece to aid in nighttime breathing issues. I will be checking back in with you for sure to let you know if I find success or need more assistance. Thank you so much for all your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I have a philosophical aversion to mouthpieces for apnea treatment, but I'd be careful about committing to one if I was you. The mouthpiece (or mandibular advancement device MAD) can treat certain apneas / hypopneas if you have the right physiognomy and some of the members here use them, apparently successfully.

In fact my own GP uses one, but has no idea if it's actually working. And that's one of the problems - there is no real way of knowing if the thing is actually working. With a CPAP machine (all except the cheapest, nastiest ones) you can access breath-by-breath data which shows you exactly what's going on, and how you respond to changes in settings. With a MAD it's pretty much a matter of guesswork and "how do you feel"?

MADs can also cause problems with the TMJ, leading to pain and possible future surgery.

And they're expensive - a proper adjustable one will probably cost you more than a good CPAP from an Amazon reseller.

I don't know how it works with your insurance etc, but here in Oz most suppliers will let you hire a CPAP for a couple of months to see how it goes. There's usually a consultation fee, and they will help work with you to optimise the settings. If you then decide to purchase the machine the rental cost is deducted. Otherwise you can walk away and try something else. If this type of service is available to you, I think it would be a much wiser course of action than using a MAD.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2017, 01:10 AM)Dulce Wrote: Thank you, Sleeprider. I appreciate the advice and am pursuing an appointment with someone else who can help me. I did not see the doctor who interpreted the sleep study. It was ordered by my rheumatologist who has been trying to find the cause of my fatigue. He is, however, heeding the advice of Doctor who interpreted the sleep study, so I think I will try to obtain an appointment with someone else for a second opinion. I have an appointment with a friend who is a dentist next week to discuss a mouthpiece to aid in nighttime breathing issues. I will be checking back in with you for sure to let you know if I find success or need more assistance. Thank you so much for all your help.

Since the recommendation not to pursue therapy was made by a sleep doctor that never saw you, the best course is to talk to your primary doctor.  You should point out that sedatives and sleeping pills are not an appropriate solution for you, and that the sleep clinic's recommendations ignores important facts, like a low oxygen level, miscalculated AHI and your sense of fatigue.  The Sleep clinic probably assumes you are the average person with mild apnea that will not be motivated to comply with therapy.  Your doctor can simply use the diagnostic results that show mild sleep apnea with moderate oxygen desaturations and general fatigue to recommend CPAP therapy using Auto CPAP to self titrate for patient comfort and apnea reduction.  

With a prescription you can be covered for an auto CPAP that provides data and feedback so you can optimize therapy.  Your pressure requirements are likely fairly low, so a starting pressure of 5.0 cm and maximum pressure of 12.0 in auto mode would likely be very effective.  You should not take "no" for an answer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,203 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,166 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,106 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 372 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  What Makes This Period of Time an Hypopnea Event? Trevor G 1 428 07-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  AHI versus "mean apnea–hypopnea duration" (MAD) Henrikc 1 547 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  CPAP treatment for Hypopnea and Clear Airway silvermangb 3 1,497 10-02-2022, 03:41 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.