Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopnea questions and desats
Hypopnea questions and desats
I have been doing good on my BI-LEVEL. <1 AHI for the last month. I sleep on my side now with a cervical collar. But last night, I woke up to my Contec SpO2 alarm going off, and my heart racing 100bpm. It said my SpO2 dropped to 86%. It appears from the sleepyhead chart, I only had a 10sec or so Hypopnea. Why would it desat so much?

I assume it may have desat more if i didnt have my Contec SoO2 watch on last night. Usually I only wear it a few times a month now to check levels. How dangerous is one or two Hypopneas a night?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypopnea questions and desats
The irregular breathing may have been longer than 10, but it doesn't matter either way. You had a desaturation and awakening. If it wasn't for the alarm, you may have just stirred in your sleep. This is what a Hypopnea is. You could raise you epap to 5, but you will still get the odd OA/H. Did you self buy the bpap? Your chart looks good and I would wonder what was the reason for bpap
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I had much the same scenario at one time and upon further investigation, the alarm was triggered by my movement and I caused my own hypop by holding my breath when I looked at the device. I would only worry about desats if they are persistent and appear to be a trend. The problem with pulse-ox units is they may generate artifacts with movement.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
The bilevel was issued by doctor since CPAP /APAP didn't work for me. I use a dental appliance, cervical collar and chin strap. Plus a neck pillow to keep my head positioned. Quite a lot but all of it helps for me to get to very low AHI. Without all of it I had major issues with repeated breathing events causing my heart to go into AFIB and abnormal rhythms.

I did have another finger tip SpO2 nearby and used it on the other hand, and it gave the same reading in the 80's. So I'm pretty sure my O2 dropped since my heart was racing at a 100bpm.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 331 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,149 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.