Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopnea's
Hypopnea's
About once a week I have a signficant number of hypopnea's. Did I read that this
could be caused by a too tight mask? Thanks.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypopnea's
The only negative to a mask "too tight" is the possible irritation to your face/nose. Having no leak around the cushion of the mask is the desired outcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it the same day each week or pure random? I'm curious if there is something you do that day that's different, like have an extra beer or something. Who knows?

Hyponeas are where the airway partially collapses but not all the way. A mask that is too tight wouldn't cause that. Like Jaycee said, it would cause irritation and leaks more than it would cause that.

Most likely it is sheer random chance.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 05:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Is it the same day each week or pure random? I'm curious if there is something you do that day that's different, like have an extra beer or something. Who knows?
It always that extra beer 'one for the road' which you know you shouldn't had

Too many hypopnea events occurring at the lower pressure tells me, time to bump up the lower pressure a bit but if occurring at the high end, time to see the doc if concerned. Hypopnea here and there is not a concern (SH shows duration of hyponea in seconds)

AHI below 5 considered good, hypopneas included in AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 09:05 AM)readyforsleep Wrote: About once a week I have a signficant number of hypopnea's. Did I read that this
could be caused by a too tight mask? Thanks.

there's a thread over on a sleep tech board about how a lot of them hate FFM because they 'tend to push the jaw back, which makes apnea worse' and, in typical "I know better than you" fashion, they do their best to convince people not to try a FFM unless there's no other choice.

so, it's possible...
Post Reply Post Reply
Then wouldn't a chin strap do the same thing? In theory?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2014, 09:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Then wouldn't a chin strap do the same thing? In theory?

yeah, especially if they're too tight... so the theory goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very interesting comments... had another eventful night - this time both OA and H
increased. AHI WAS 8, I had been as low as 2.4. Good thing I didn't schedule
the celebration party!

The only change made in the last 2 days was to increase my low pressure to 11.4.
there is always the possibility of back sleeping. I am not convinced I stay off my
back even with the tennis balls...

tonight I will loosen my chin strap. Btw zero leaks last night, so that is not it.

This has haopenned before, doing real well and then high AHI sprinkled in. Maybe
this is my normal? In the last month I blamed it on monkeying with the low pressure.

Would love to hear your ideas, Robin
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
I recall from your other thread, your doctor saying: No bipap needed

Based on AASM titration protocol criteria, if pressure threshold of 15 is reached, switch to BIPAP

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk,

You are right, on my bad nights my pressure needs to go over
20 to keep my apneas under control.

I did get my doctor to agree to trial me on a bipap. Since my average ahi
is acceptable, I had to push for that. I was going to wait until
I got back home in October ( I am out of the country until October).
if this trend continues I could arrange a trial sooner.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,149 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,112 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,045 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 355 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  What Makes This Period of Time an Hypopnea Event? Trevor G 1 414 07-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  AHI versus "mean apnea–hypopnea duration" (MAD) Henrikc 1 527 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  CPAP treatment for Hypopnea and Clear Airway silvermangb 3 1,441 10-02-2022, 03:41 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.