Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopneas
I read in another thread that hypopneas could be obstructive or central in nature. What does this mean? I was diagnosed with 10.5 hypopneas per hour during an in-lab sleep test. Why wouldn't the doctor just say what kind of event?

I was taking six hydrocodone 10/325 at the time of the test and when I began looking at my results on Rescan software, I was seeing many more hypopneas than anything else. So, anyway, I cut way back on the hydrocodone and now do not have near as many centrals as I was.
Post Reply Post Reply
An apnea is defined as the cessation of airflow for 10 seconds or more, but the machines score a reduction of 80% or more as an apnea. They then send out pulses of air to check for obstruction.
- An obstructive apnea is defined as a complete cessation of airflow, caused by an obstruction in the upper airway, and accompanied by a struggle to breathe for 10 seconds or more.
- A central apnea is defined as a complete cessation of airflow and no effort to breathe for 10 seconds or more. The machines score an unobstructed airway as a clear airway apnea event or a central apnea event.

A hypopnea is a decrease in airflow by at least 50% for ten seconds or more, with a 3% desaturation of blood oxygen level. The machines don't typically measure oximetry and don't check for obstruction, so hypopneas aren't differentiated as obstructive or clear/central and we typically don't differentiate when discussing them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about APAP machines and sensitivity to hypopneas slarai 4 245 08-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Hypopneas occurring with AirCurve 10 ASV ricknfli 4 408 04-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Last Post: xxyzx
  ASV and hypopneas ricknfli 11 614 04-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Marillion
  Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long? Rcgop 36 2,491 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM
Last Post: JohnnyGobbs
  Question on mostly hypopneas DanPrado 4 447 12-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Last Post: DanPrado
  Flex settings and hypopneas KSMatthew 4 1,002 10-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP newbie question: Is it useful to visit a neurologist for hypopneas? Snurkel 18 1,641 07-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Last Post: richb