Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopneas
Hypopneas
I read in another thread that hypopneas could be obstructive or central in nature. What does this mean? I was diagnosed with 10.5 hypopneas per hour during an in-lab sleep test. Why wouldn't the doctor just say what kind of event?

I was taking six hydrocodone 10/325 at the time of the test and when I began looking at my results on Rescan software, I was seeing many more hypopneas than anything else. So, anyway, I cut way back on the hydrocodone and now do not have near as many centrals as I was.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypopneas
An apnea is defined as the cessation of airflow for 10 seconds or more, but the machines score a reduction of 80% or more as an apnea. They then send out pulses of air to check for obstruction.
- An obstructive apnea is defined as a complete cessation of airflow, caused by an obstruction in the upper airway, and accompanied by a struggle to breathe for 10 seconds or more.
- A central apnea is defined as a complete cessation of airflow and no effort to breathe for 10 seconds or more. The machines score an unobstructed airway as a clear airway apnea event or a central apnea event.

A hypopnea is a decrease in airflow by at least 50% for ten seconds or more, with a 3% desaturation of blood oxygen level. The machines don't typically measure oximetry and don't check for obstruction, so hypopneas aren't differentiated as obstructive or clear/central and we typically don't differentiate when discussing them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 172 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 455 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 522 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 895 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest
  [Treatment] Difficulty with TECSA and Hypopneas jjl468 7 1,033 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: jjl468

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.