Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopneas correlated with flow reduction?
RE: Hypopneas correlated with flow reduction?
Last night's session was the new "normal". 0.52 hrs of hypopnea in 4 events, nothing else remarkable, no leaks, but SPO2 only 90% this morning. Rising concern among my ALS/RT team, with telemedicine appointment (I'm beginning to like those) with neuromuscular pulmonologists scheduled for Tuesday. The oximeter (50F) ran out of juice early on, and the Oximetry Wizard couldn't find any valid data. I'll try again tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
An oxygen bleed addition to the the existing machine is a pretty easy modification. We have a wiki on Oxygen Bleed for CPAP if you're interested. I hope you will inquire about the Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A and iVAPS (intelligible volume assured pressure support). It is a far more sophisticated and comfortable non-invasive ventilator and I'm interested to hear your medical team's feedback on that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll pass their wisdom along. They're talking about mouthpiece ventilation during the day, but no significant changes to the nighttime regimen so far. Tuesday's meeting should be interesting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Finally got everything to work. Good session with oximeter running. Only odd thing was when I first tried to use the Oximetry Wizard, it complained there was no data on the device. I then fired up SPO2 Assistant, which found the data OK. Back to the Wizard, this time it found data, but it complained about the name of the SPO2 device being different. This is my 2nd device, so I'll look into that. Bottom line: same pattern of hypopneas, no dramatic O2 changes. Large gap in data at about 10:42 is when I got back into bed after a potty break, the machine didn't really turn on when I tapped the button. Didn't notice it immediately, but after struggling to breathe for a while I checked it and made sure it was on. That single toggle for on/off has always struck me as bad design. May turn SmartStart back on, as it's a major job for me to get in and out of bed.

Post Reply Post Reply
FYI:  Ever since SleepyHead, the CMS-50 importer has always complained about a different user name.  It always uses, "User", as the name. This has no bearing on the data, so just ignore it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the Oximetry Wizard need an underlying CPAP dump to operate? I wore my CMS-50 all day today just to see what happens, and I'd like to use the Wizard instead of the SPO2 Assistant to display the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing too scary about the SpO2. If you look at the respiration rate, it varies a lot, and it does that because your pressure support is fixed. With ST-A and iVaps, your respiration rate would stabilize and the pressure support of the machine would vary. Think about which one would result in better sleep. Pleae self-advocate for the ST-A.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try, but the medical establishment in Seattle is pretty messed up right now, Medicare is getting very fussy and denying all kinds of things, and ROI on my health-related expenses looks pretty dismal.

Last night, something new: a ton of UAs in the early AM. Tried to sleep on my back, which the mask prefers, but my body doesn't seem to tolerate well. Struggled to turn onto my side, then slept OK until the mask started to burp to wake me up a little before 6. Time to get up anyway to watch NASA Live for the SpaceX docking.

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night we had a good pass of the ISS with clear conditions. I watched the ISS climb in the northwestern sky and about 25 seconds after seeing the ISS a second object appeared on the same trajectory, the SpaceX Dragon capsule in pursuit. As we watched, the Dragon entered the Earths umbra while the ISS remained visible, so the spacecraft was still in a lower orbit at 9:50 PM EDT. I figure seeing those two in the sky at the same time ahead of the docking was a once in a lifetime sighting.

I don't suppose you had your oximeter on during last night's events? Looks more obstructive from here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Great sighting. Time to buy a serious telescope.
No, oximeter is such a PIA to use, I only use it once in a while. I wore it all day yesterday, and when I went to stop it, it had already stopped recording. Nevertheless, I got over 10 hours of data, nothing terribly exciting.
The UAs may be related to sleeping position, cervical spine issues, and use of the collar. Probably not worth the time and effort to determine which.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 104 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 268 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 316 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 235 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,617 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.