Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopneas correlated with flow reduction?
RE: Hypopneas correlated with flow reduction?
ResMed IVAPS would be a better solution than the Philips. We would love the opportunity to show your doctor the power of OSCAR in helping his patients. The ST-A is an intelligent ST that adjusts pressure support as needed when needed to maintain alveolar ventilation. 

I understand your growing trepidation to moving to a noninvasive ventilator. On one hand, we have many healthy members that require NIV for a variety of reasons. In your case with ALS, iVAPS is a better choice even if you were not so progressed. I appreciate this therapy is a lower priority as the important things in your life come into sharper focus as you prepare for the inevitable. It has been a special privilege that you have shared a piece of your journey with us and invited what help and support I can offer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2020, 09:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Trilogy is a very sophisticated NIV, unfortunately we can's see the data. This is an AVAPS machine like the ST-A but there is no SD card or OSCAR support. Your doctor can get the daa and make appropriate changes.  The principle is the same. It uses adaptive pressure suport to maintain a minute vent volume.  This is a far better solution than the ST, but it's still disappointing we won't be able to folllow along.  If there is a SD card slot, we will work with you to submit the data and try to create support in OSCAR.

You still could request the Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A as your preference.  It is the same therapy.

Got the Trilogy. It does have an SD card. What it doesn't have, apparently, is something Like SmartStart, so it really requires help to use it as I get in and out of bed to pee, many times a night. So it's a non starter for me. They wanted me to have, also, another one on the wheelchair with a "sip and go" mouthpiece vent on it, which I found to be a major PITA with no clear benefit. We're still talking among the MD, RTs, DME, and myself about what to do. I'll be advocating for a fancier Resmed, but not sure which model yet, or if they'll all have features I want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again the Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A is an iVAPS device capable of targeting alveolar vent and should have a simple form factor you are familiar with. It is a huge step up in sophistication without making you feel like a ventilation tech. I know you’re not an assertive individual but give this a little push.

Actually I’m going to ask Dave his opinion since he is looking at an Astral 150 that I’m not familiar with.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2020, 04:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Again the Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A is an iVAPS device capable of targeting alveolar vent and should have a simple form factor you are familiar with. It is a huge step up in sophistication without making you feel like a ventilation tech. I know you’re not an assertive individual but give this a little push.

Actually I’m going to ask Dave his opinion since he is looking at an Astral 150 that I’m not familiar with.

I'd love to see what Dave had to say.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey there, just became available to catch up on all things AB just now.

My info on my probable need for NIV as in ventilator class indicates 2 models that are out there PhoebeAnn. One is the Philips Trilogy, they may have a newer edition Trilogy Evo. I don't recall specs but given how CPAPs go where Philips Respironics vs ResMed have comparable models, I suspect the same thing applies with NIV. My current RT at the Apria DME wants me to get the Trilogy.

I do however have some info, and can get more for us both, the ResMed Astral is the comparable model there. The Astral has a 100 series and a 150. The 100 is more basic, it does not allow double limb air hose support and a few other things like FiO2 monitoring, but I don't know exactly right now what else. I'm pushing for the 150. Both Astrals have big color touch screens and the same pressure up to 60 and most Modes are on both I think. These ResMeds do the same iVAPS as an ST-A as I recall.

FWIW Astral can have heated hoses. I have to dig into research data, but there may be an equivalent SmartStart. Let me check back and do a new post. I'll get the Modes it does and some other info with PDF links if I have them to accessories and such.

If I were you, I'd consider voicing a demand/opinion to "give me the ResMed Astral 150" to Doc DoLittle. BTW I think Astral is a newer device design than Trilogy too.

Let me dig some stuff up and I will post here by tomorrow.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's PDF on Brochure Info data-ish stuff https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

Accessories Catalog also does a model comparison on ResMed units; I think only DMEs can order this stuff.
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...nz_eng.pdf

ResMed Titration Guide including iVAPS but probably for ST-A...
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

More to come as I find it...

PS nothing yet on SmartStart, Astral is mostly touchscreen control with physical Power button, but since it has built-in battery backup, I think you have to turn it off via screen controls.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some more findings and thoughts: ResMed ST-A is in form factor that may be easier to operate, and has SmartStart as I recall. It does not have battery operation features built-in. Maybe Doc thinks you need NIV/vent at all times, signified by Sip mouthpiece. That's specific for waking use as I see it.

I correct an item on Astral specs that I said earlier, but it's just to clarify...Astral can be set to reach a Max cmH2O pressure of 50 not 60 as I said earlier. Doubt it'll make much difference to you though.

Modes, first 2 are Valve Circuit while 3rd is identical to CPAP leak circuit
Volume Mode: (A)CV, V-SIMV
Pressure: P(A)CV, P-SIMV, PS, CPAP
Leak circuit therapy (think CPAP circuit): CPAP, (S)T, P(A)C, iVAPS* with optional AE**, PS

I did see it runs iVAPS and AE (auto EPAP) algorithm, described as such in ResMed brochure:

Source for brochure https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

iVAPS with optional AE Our latest set of clinical enhancements includes iVAPS™* (intelligent Volume Assured Pressure Support) with optional AutoEPAP** (AE). iVAPS targets a patient’s alveolar ventilation while AE maintains a patient’s upper airway at a comfortable pressure. That’s why Astral™, already renowned for its portability and intuitive color touch screen, now features a suite of intelligent technologies that deliver adaptive ventilation to suit each patient’s individual needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
So Dave, it sounds like the Astral has all the thrapy options of the ST-A and more, with battery backup and a relatively easy to use touch-screen. It seems like a device worth making the doctors aware of in this case.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed on the summary there Sleeprider. Only thing ST-A has an advantage for PhoebeAnn is likely SmartStart option and familiar form factor. I am inclined to think the Doc wants him on the machine more than just overnights usage scenarios, think up to full time vent usage. Just my opinion of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure the selection of machine is based on anticipated progress of the ALS. This is one of the more difficult cases of assisting members we have had from an emotional standpoint. Very tough illness and not much more we can do other than find the best, most comfortable alternative to suggest to his medical team for consideration.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 100 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 265 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,615 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.