Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopneas or Central Apneas preferable?
Hypopneas or Central Apneas preferable?
[ResMed Vauto 25/16 PS-1.8]

I have discovered that changing the TRIGGER to High from Normal will substantially reduce CAs, slightly increase OAs and Hypopneas will increase dramatically.

Changing Humidity to 5 from 4 (to help reduce sticky phlegm) will usually  increase all events.

PROBABLY just phenomena related only to me but that is what is happening.  So, in my mind, a bunch of Hypopneas is the  lesser evil than Central Apneas 'cause the brain controls CAs, and you're 'sorta breathing with Hypopneas -Right? Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypopneas or Central Apneas preferable?
Hypopnoeas can be central in nature ie a reduced flow by not breathing rather than reduced flow by obstruction however the Resmed machines don’t differentiate between the two. The idea is to reduce all events as much as possible and then strive for comfort, with an AHI of less than 2
Post Reply Post Reply
as a practical matter jas is right. otoh, I agree with the general proposition that hypopnea is preferable to apnea independent of whether any of it is obstructive or central because hypopnea doesn't inhibit air flow to the same degree as apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would look at it on an individual basis. Which events for the individual the patient are more disruptive? For me, full apneas were worse either as OA or CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have given up on collars even though they are very beneficial- hot and gives me a neck ache. Here was a chart from last night using a collar after a year without it (only as a test) with ResMed V auto 25/16 PS-1.8 Trigger-High Humidity-5.  Some may recall my abysmal stats back when I started.  No discussion necessary, just showing what can be achieved by someone needing a ASV but medical conditions would not allow it.  I know events will increase without a collar.  Thus: the question about Hypopneas which are usually unavoidable.

And without collar and same settings,

Post Reply Post Reply
wow. those charts are a pretty clear testimonial for the collar. clearly beneficial. sounds like you've made up your mind but maybe not as hot with summer behind us in the u.s.? & you might try a different size or style for the neck ache?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not that simple, Old cervical injury that is easily aggravated and causes numbness in left hand- Non Starter!

It is what it is Rolleyes

Here is last nights chart without the collar and everything else the same, clearly illustrating what I said.

So back to the original question: Which is preferable Hypopneas of Obstructive Apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you must choose, then hypopnea is restricted breathing with more airflow than an obstructive apnea. All the obstructive events we look at are easily categorized on a continuum of severity from least to most; flow limitation, hypopnea, obstructive apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always check first for Central Apnea, then address that reduction if the centrals are significant as it is often a simple reduction or PS, EPR or Flex. Then I consider the remaining Obstructed events. This bears in mind that we are using either a basic CPAP or BiLevel not designed to treat Central Apneas. The goal is an overall reduction in AHI, preferably to under 2-3, but there is flexibility there, and from there looking at mostly comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
THANK YOU GENTLEMAN.  Confirming what I thought to be so. (Lesser of the Evils)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 556 49 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,516 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 232 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 266 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.