Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopneas vs Centrals – How to Optimize?
RE: Hypopneas vs Centrals – How to Optimize?
To add just a little to bonjour. You have poor efficacy with CPAP and going to bilevel would not be hard at all through your doctor and insurance, in part because you have COPD. If your insurance is pretty good, this is a good option, but remember you will fail bilevel with central events. It's a good time to have a candid conversation with your doctor letting him know the problems you are experiencing and asking his opinion on the best way to proceed. Your combination of flow limitations, hypopnea and RERA reaaly need pressure support from bilevel to resolve. Your complication of central apnea and periodic breathing when any pressure support is present is only resolved by ASV, and that would be the ideal solution. As Bonjour suggests above, EERS is a possible alternative. One last question, do you live at a higher altitude?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Your complication of central apnea and periodic breathing when any pressure support is present is only resolved by ASV, and that would be the ideal solution.

I strongly agree.....
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll take a stab at interpreting your ca and h. I think you asked about the h, in particular. take this with a grain of salt because I'm no expert; just been around AB a few years.

imo the ca were real and the h was obstructive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fred for the options.  For the short term, I will use CPAP at 8/0, that's all I can do right now.  Sounds like the VAuto may work or may not work, depending on settings, so there is uncertainty in my mind about whether I will end up in the same place anyway and need the ASV.  I think it would rather put that money towards an ASV which sounds like the better choice.   But ASV seems to be a serious undertaking with a lot of settings I have no idea about.  I read somewhere about heart issues that may preclude use, but that may not be valid now.  While I am asymptomatic for heart issues, I did have a calcium scan 2 years ago (doctor wanted to convince me to take a statin) and learned that my Agatson score is >500, so I will need to sort that out before committing to ASV I think.  Money is not the issue for the ASV, or for a VAuto for that matter, as I mentioned I can buy it myself without the dance with the DMEs. To Sleepriders suggestion, I will contact my doctor and see what she says about all this.  Intrigued by EERS, so I will do some more homework on that to see what it entails.  If it is simple to test, I may just do that to see whether it has any impact.  If anyone can point to a place to learn more that would be great.   Sleeprider, I live in Central Ohio, so high elevation is not an issue.  I am also wondering about your comment about COPD.  I don't have that, at least I don't think I do, did you get that from the data I showed?  Thanks to all of you for all the insights! Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
EERS http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS)
Basically you block the mask vent on a mask, attach a length of coraflex tubing (6,12,or 18 inches) add a new vent, attach to CPAP hose. The different lengths are how you adjust how much you rebreathe.  coraflex comes in long lengths that you cut at 6 inch intervals. so you need 3 feet min of the coraflex.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeffwpb

The ASV settings on a Resmed are a doddle it’s fully automatic and does a great job. You just need a prescription or find one on a site such as dotmed who have a Resmed S9 Vpap adapt for $150 you would need to add a humidifier and heated hose but a great starting point for self treatment the supplier ems supply is reliable as I have purchased two machines from them exactly as described.
Post Reply Post Reply
Scratching info about COPD...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI increasing and centrals michaelyu15 0 90 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Diagnosis] Help with Hypopneas! strugglingzombie 0 128 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: strugglingzombie
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 591 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,106 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 342 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 168 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 684 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.