Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I’m new [interpreting my numbers]
RE: I’m new [interpreting my numbers]
I would switch to auto mode and set min 11 max 20, This will work out what pressure you need. You then have the choice to stay in auto or select the fixed pressure the machine would recommend.

This will show where the settings are, also request the clinical manual from the link at the top of the page
http://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-c...structions
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. Other than the pressure, I suspect that a positional apnea may be playing a role, and a soft cervical collar may help prevent the occlusion of the airway from chin-tucking or poor neck to head alignment. That is pretty impressive obstructive apnea for a pressure of 11.0 cm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is impressive, isn't it Smile
There are also a bunch of leaks to fix, through better mask fit, mouthbreathing and such. I doubt the tidal volume and minute vent is right.
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lol. I have NO idea what any of that means yet! I raised the pressure to 12 last night and my AHI went down to 9.1. Mask fit was 100%. My mask fit has been 98-100% for over two weeks. Only twice has it been in the 80’s when I first got it (day 1 and 3) 18 days ago. My apneas may be positional, due to neck and back issues I sleep on my side.
On Wednesday morning I have brain aneurysm surgery. I’m concerned the apneas will cause extra stress on my brain following surgery!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure you will have fewer apneas with CPAP than without.  Glad to hear your progress is in the right direction. A drop from 16.6 to 9.1 with the addition of 1-cm of pressure is very good progress.  Let me try to interpret some of what we were talking about.  

The good news is that you have obstructive apnea. As you know, this is simply your upper airway closing when you sleep, and preventing you from breathing.  Your OA is responding very well to additional pressure, and that is encouraging.  I think you should add another increment of pressure to probably reduce the number of apnea events even further.

Ajack and I both observed that you are using a Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP that is set to fixed CPAP mode.  We think you would make faster progress if you changed that to Auto mode, and set the pressure in a range from 11 minimum to 18 maximum.  This short tutorial will show you how to do that:  How to Access Dreamstation Clinical Settings.   Pressure is working to help keep your airway open.  Some people also tuck their chin or sleep in positions that physically obstruct the airway.  You can experiment with this, by sitting in a relaxed position and allowing your chin to drop toward your chest.  If you feel that makes it harder to breath, you might be a good candidate to use a soft cervical collar.  It is just a soft foam roll (not rigid) that is worn loosely around the neck, and is just tall enough to stop your chin from dropping so far. It keeps the airway open, so you need less pressure.

By changing your machine to auto mode, and allowing it to automatically change pressure from 11 to 18 cm pressure, you will quickly learn what pressure(s) work best.  It should drop your AHI to about 4 or fewer events per hour.  Auto CPAP mode can let you have lower pressure at times, but will increase pressure to prevent apnea when you need it.  It will work well, and if in time you combine it with a cervical collar, you may find events nearly disappear.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4160]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can vouch for the advice you have been given by ajack and sleeprider. A year ago I was where your are, using a constant pressure and with AHI values >10. Seeprider suggested use of auto mode and correction of positional issues. I followed his advice and my AHI values immediately dropped to <1. Your results may not be that dramatic but you will see improvement.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
best of luck with the surgery, Take your cpap to hospital with you. trying to get a hospital one to use is a pain. The doctor will asses whether a cpap is used, or you they give short term O2 to build up an o2 reserve for when you apnea. Either should be fine, but cpap is prefered. My thoughts are that, unless there is a cut into your airway. The op won't be under threat from cpap, it is a very mild pressure in reality. What would be a threat is high blood pressure, perhaps rapid pulse.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?aid=197
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. It’s brain surgery, so the headpiece may be an issue for a few weeks. Will discuss w/doctors.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP is for use in recovery and until you're released. I'm sure they will have a protective bandage in place, and the straps for your mask do not need to be tight. I assume you feel considerable relief from the CPAP, so have it available in what you pack for the hospital. I'm sure you will get assistance and advise on using it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Riverbank,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with CPAP therapy and I hope your surgery goes well and that you have a speedy recovery.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 122 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 108 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 101 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 142 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,045 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 774 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 474 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.