Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I’m new [interpreting my numbers]
I’m new [interpreting my numbers]
Hello. My name is Terri and I am a new CPAP user. I am using the DreamStation. I have been using the machine for 17 days now. I have a mask fit of 99-100%. I still have high numbers though. I was told I would feel so much better, but still have morning headaches and tired all day. Last nights numbers:
AHI - 16.5
8.19 hours
99% mask fit
16 clear airway apneas 
90 obstructive airway apneas
32 Total Hypopneas

I have NO clue what this means! 
My initial pressure was set to 5 and increased the next night to 11. I *assume* this is the range my doctor recommended to start. I don’t see him again for another 5 weeks. Does it appear I need more pressure? Should I call him, or are these numbers acceptable?
Some experienced input would be helpful. TIA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I’m new
Download sleepyhead and get some graphs uploaded it will help us provide advise looking at your data
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Terri.

The Dreamstation is a great unit, I love mine. 

There are others here with far more knowledge who will give input regarding your numbers, but hang in there with it all.

It can take months to get everything fine tuned to your specific needs, once sorted you will then see the maximum benefits of CPAP.

In the meantime it will be a case of "one thing at a time" until you get it all figured out, pressures- mask fit- humidity- and other settings, all take time to find what works best for you.

I would say it was around 6 months before I had mine settled in for my comfort and needs, now I'm more than 18 months in to it and it is as routine as setting my alarm clock each night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will Sleepyhead work on my iPhone 8, or must it be on my Mac (all my devices are Apple)?
Post Reply Post Reply
An AHI of 16.5 means your therapy is  far from optimal. Under 5 is considered treated but many us do much better. It will be hard to provide help without more data. Download SleepyHead as jaswilliams suggested and post some data. Don't worry, many of us started out with AHI values as high or higher than yours but with help from the forum have been able to improve our therapy. A year ago I was about where you are but now my AHI values ate usually <1 thanks to help from this forum. See the links below for help.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a version for Mac
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Riverbank. Welcome to the forum.

SleepyHead will work on your Mac but won't work on a mobile device. Be sure to arrange the graphs properly before posting them. Try to keep all of your sleep apnea related posts in this thread so members will have a history of your posts.

In the mean time, fill out the information in your profile as accurately and as detailed as possible. The type of DreamStation you have as well as the other info is very important.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead does not run on phones.

Which of the several DreamStations do you have? The serial number on the bottom and should look like this. DSX500x11

The AHI of 16.5 does indicate an adjustment is likely needed, I suspect another increase.

Your OSA is considered treated when under 5 AHI

We like to advise from data, and the Sleepyhead daily charts tell us what is going on.

Also read the links in my signature, they will help you understand a lot of what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2018, 05:12 PM)Riverbank Wrote: Will Sleepyhead work on my iPhone 8, or must it be on my Mac (all my devices are Apple)?

#Sleepyhead will work great with your Mac computer. Unfortunately not with the iPhone. The first link in my signature shows how to take a screenshot and organize the data.  The second link in my signature shows how you can attach the Sleepyhead screenshots to your forum posts.  Most importantly we need to know your machine settings, and from your results, I think you might be using an auto CPAP with default settings of 4-20 cm pressure.  You will need a higher minimum pressure to stop the events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I’m new [interpreting my numbers]
Ok, here is what I have, it took a while (thank you all for your help!). I hope I did this correctly!
Another thing I need to do is figure out how to edit my type of machine and mask in my profile!
Brand                               Series                       Model                             Serial
Philips Respironics             DreamStation           Auto CPAP (500X110)       J20568512A532
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 122 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help interpreting iMatrix resvent Data Adamby1047 0 101 03-16-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Adamby1047
  Interpreting Oscar values SleepingTight 0 142 03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Last Post: SleepingTight
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,045 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 774 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 475 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.