Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I’ve been suffering and looking for an opinion
I’ve been suffering and looking for an opinion
hi there,

I’ve been using my resmed air fit p10 mask since January. My dust and grass allergies are at 1000% to the point that after an hour of sleeping,I choke then vomit. The CPAP has made this problem so much worse. And since I am now taking my mask off so I stop choking, I am exhausted. 

I am desperate and hoping that a different mask may help but I cannot spend the money to just trying anything. Does anyone have any experience trying different masks with extreme congestion?  Should I just try a nasal mask next or go full facial. I am not a mouth breather but maybe that would help?

Best,
Darci
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I’ve been suffering and looking for an opinion
That sounds awful!
A suggestion....have you changed the filter in your machine? I suggest that you remove the filter you are using now, look for signs of dust/pollen on the machine behind the filter, with it removed.
If there are signs of that you have air bypassing the filter because it didn't fit right or the filter is so loaded the dust/pollen is getting through.
Then install a new filter.
Take a look inside your mask too...a gentle cleaning may help.

Do you use a humidifier? Is there any chance contaminants are coming from that chamber?

My filters are throw-away. I can't clean them.

Question...I wonder if machines have filters with multiple medias? Perhaps there is a better filter you can buy.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I was experiencing the same persistent post nasal drip and flow blocking, especially on exhale. I started using Flonase last month and it has completely cleared up, as well as daytime stuffiness and breathing difficulties. Yes, I was a mouth-breather, and on CPAP my breathing amounted to suck in a breath, swallow, attempt to exhale, BLOCKED! and go again.. The first week you use two sprays per side, and after the first week, once per day. It takes about 3-days to fully clear, and you will not believe it could be so simple. Flonase or its generic version of fluticasone propionate, does not have habit forming or rebound problems like Afrin and is available over-the-counter.,
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2019, 02:30 AM)DarciWantsToSleep Wrote: hi there,

I’ve been using my resmed air fit p10 mask since January. My dust and grass allergies are at 1000% to the point that after an hour of sleeping,I choke then vomit. The CPAP has made this problem so much worse. And since I am now taking my mask off so I stop choking, I am exhausted. 

I am desperate and hoping that a different mask may help but I cannot spend the money to just trying anything. Does anyone have any experience trying different masks with extreme congestion?  Should I just try a nasal mask next or go full facial. I am not a mouth breather but maybe that would help?

Best,
Darci

Darci, it may be a forehead slapper, but do you use a hepa-filter in your machine?  They should filter out a lot of the crud that's causing you so much distress.  Also, an in-home electronic filter on a furnace can really clean things up.  It's a noisy device at times, making snapping sounds when something shorts the electric grid, but it does a great job.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your responses. 

I should have mentioned that yes, I use a higher quality HEPA filter on my CPAP and change the filter weekly. I also clean all the hoses, mask and chamber weekly. I have also been to an allergist and use both Flonase and Azelastine nasal sprays as well as two antihistamines per day. I hope that starting allergy shots plus the coming winter helps. I have also encased all my bedding in hypoallergenic covers and hired someone to clean my apartment 2 times per month (all the heavy stuff). 

Right now I have been going to bed with my mask on. About an hour or so after laying down, the dripping and congestion start then it blows down my throat, cough, gag. Then I try sleeping sitting up (does wonder for your back, if you love a pain). Then at some point, I take the mask off. Then my husband says, put your mask on and I begin again. 

My sleep doctor said to speak to the DME to suggest other masks, but they are terrible and only care about money. They just kept telling me how much things would cost and what is not covered. But I just want to sleep and not vomit 3-4 nights per week....
Post Reply Post Reply
You've done so much!
Do you mouthbreath? (I do. I have to take measures to keep my mouth closed.) When I do, my mouth gets all dried out. And it really affects how I feel, because cpap doesn't work with my mouth open.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I am just winging it here, but is it possible that this is a problem with condensation on turbinate bones inside the nares?  Normally one gets dripping nostrils with such conditions, but if one is recumbent, especially on one's back, the flow could go the other way and be post-nasal.  Or, it's actually rhinitis and not allergic at all.  

We have all experienced runny noses when out in the cool morning or late evening at the right time of year.  With that cooler air running over out turbinate bones, it cools them as we breathe in.  Then, with heavily moisturized air, we expel what's in our lungs.  It, too, runs over the cool turbinate bones and loses its moisture to condensation.  Drip, wipe, drip, wipe.

Could you try a dryer setting on your humidifier, either in the home or with your PAP device?  Perhaps that's already in the past with you and you know how that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ll try that tonight. My allergist recommended a higher humidity but I may as well try the other side of things. I’m going for a head CT to check my sinuses to make sure there is nothing non-allergic happening too. 

I live in a dryer climate and like my room cool at night so maybe condensation! Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t mouth breathe....I wish it was just that.
Post Reply Post Reply
You've done so much trying to solve your problem.

Just thinking....I've had problems with rainout. Water condensed in my hose because of the temperature in my room and my settings.

When it was severe I had water in my mask and it was a real bother.

I added a heated hose. That helped.
I've never added a "wrap" for my hose.
Both those measures help.
I could have reduced the amount of water added for humidification by changing settings. That would help too.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second opinion on a sleep study spudhorse 18 962 01-09-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Watchpat suggests UARS after years of suffering. Narrow airway? Rebdr 4 714 10-16-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
  Can someone give an opinion on these results ? Gregsleep 11 819 09-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  CPAP & INTRAOCULAR PRESSURE - CONSENSUS OF OPINION MCS2014 5 1,146 07-31-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: EddyDee
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 677 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [Symptoms] New user suffering central apnea Minion Fred 1 454 07-14-2023, 06:45 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second opinion - Central Apneas ? restless51 9 1,068 06-08-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.