Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I AM BACK !!
Gross 
I AM BACK !!
I am back!!! I have been off the Forum for awhile and am back. I have been on different machines for over a year now and guess what? Still bad. I am currently on a ResMed S9 with humidifier and it is the top of the line ASV machine. Doctor says my Central Apneas are non existent now and there is nothing else to do. CURED!!! NOT!!! I still feel bad and wake up numerous times during the night and have NEVER had a dream. I envy those who have been cured with CPAP. I am still trying to figure out how to Screenshot my chart to y'all without my personal info included so I will figure it out. Last night my AHI chart pegged at max twice but my readout says I have an AHI of .6. That is right. Point 6. Pressure varies anywhere from 8-19.8. WHEW!! Sometimes I think the mask wakes me up with the high pressure surge. Anyway, I am back and determined to figure it out despite the Doctor's. Bear with me! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I AM BACK !!
Use one of the screen shot apps to get a screenshot of only the data you want to post. Otherwise, take a screen shot and use a paint program to paint black over your personal data and then post the screen shot. It would be helpful if we could see some 5 minute snippets of your breathing pattern. Especially sections that might contain data around the time of your waking up during the night.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Thanks Rich. I am trying to screenshot now. Don't know how to get screenshot off of my computer onto this page.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, and perhaps you, this therapy had two parts: one quick (getting the actual apneas under control) and a much longer exercise (almost a year) of getting the machine set right so I could actually get restful sleep. My Doctor helped some and then also declared me "cured", which technically is true. Looking back at it most of what I had to adjust could not have been done by him, the last thing I think he should have known but this forum is were I got that last bit taken care of. I am pretty sure that not a single setting remained at the default setting.

Lets see those screen shots. Check out imgur.com you can upload there for free and they give you a link to copy and paste in here right on their page.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=2699][attachment=2699]Don't know if this worked but if it did please let me know and I will add my text to this post. The break in the middle is when the power went off. I woke up this mornng feeling lousy and with a headache. The AHI part of the screenshot is just crazy. Pegged at top of chart for a long time and have never seen the chart look this bad before. AHI index for the night says that I had a .6 last night. Is this machine working and maybe I can adjust something so it won't wake me up when air surges. Then again, it might just be me since Doctor says he is stumped.
Post Reply Post Reply
well they are posted and I can see them. I don't know enough about ASV machines to comment, others here will. Some things made me go "why is it doing that?" so my guess is that they will have some good comments for you. hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart looks fine. Your only events were a cluster of hypopneas during the ramp period after the power came back on. You can safely ignore these. The AHI chart is a rolling average of the AHI over the past hour. It bumped up to 3 because of those hypopneas then came back down to zero an hour later when you had no more events. It looks like it's off the chart, but that's only because the scale is set to a low value.

Your IPAP pressure is a bit all over the place, indicating that you are having some sort of breathing difficulties which the machine is counteracting. Perhaps you could zoom in on a couple of five minute windows - I'd suggest 02:00 (which seems to be nice and regular) and 02:32 (where there are some spikes). You can turn the AHI chart off and show us the mask pressure graph. Also, can you give us a shot of the side panel (the pie chart and the numbers above and below that)?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2016, 04:11 PM)Lost53 Wrote: Don't know if this worked but if it did please let me know and I will add my text to this post. The break in the middle is when the power went off. I woke up this mornng feeling lousy and with a headache. The AHI part of the screenshot is just crazy. Pegged at top of chart for a long time and have never seen the chart look this bad before. AHI index for the night says that I had a .6 last night. Is this machine working and maybe I can adjust something so it won't wake me up when air surges. Then again, it might just be me since Doctor says he is stumped.

Let's walk through your screenshot a couple of minutes at a time. First let's look at the section between 1:50 and 2:05. During this period you were breathing mostly without the machine providing extra support. You may have been more deeply asleep during this period. Next between 2:05 to 2:10 you stirred and probably would have breathing pauses except for the fact that the machine intervened with higher pressure. The machine was doing it's job. The next thing that happened at about 2:16 was the power failure. It woke you up. You put your mask back on when the power went back on. Your machine has the "ramp" feature turned on. It appears that the ramp feature is set for a short time (about 5 minutes). During ramp your machine gradually raises the pressure to help you fall asleep. When you are falling asleep, you and most other people experience breathing disruptions due to the transition from conscious breathing to autonomic breathing. We call this period of disruption "sleep wake junk". Your chart shows 3 episodes of hypopnea typical of sleep wake junk. Your machine did not respond to these hypopneas because it was in the ramp period. Notice the gradual increase in pressure in the pressure graph. The machine did record the hypopneas even though it did not respond with theraputic pressure. The AHI graph is a moving average and responded with that large jump to the top of the chart. With no additional hypopneas your AHI dropped to the bottom again. At about 2:22 ramp was finished. Your machine responded to what look like additional sleep wake junk until you fell asleep. At that point the machine continued to respond to the periodic breathing that is characteristic of central apnea. The machine also provided the pressure necessary to prevent any obstructive events. Looking at the leak rate shows that you have some leak issues that you need to work out. Now, why did you not feel fully rested when you finally woke in the morning? You probably only had a few minutes to hours of really deep sleep that looks like that quite period before the power outage. The good news is that you probably had higher O2 blood levels and may have slept better than you did without the machine. It takes time to get used to the machine and the mask. It takes time to get leaks and mask comfort sorted out. You are on the right track. One thing you might do is highlight the ramp period and a few minutes after ramp was finished. You should see the wave forms of periodic breathing. Keep us posted regarding continued problems and issues.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=2710]I appreciate the responses I have received. This screen shot includes about 40 minutes of activity. Just for reference, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with central apneas and cheynes-stokes breathing patterns over a year ago. I have no other complications or medical problems and was finally put on an ASV machine in May of this year. No more Central Apneas but still feel like!#@!%## when I wake up in the morning with no dreams during the night. I wear the mask 100% every day but am tiring of the hassle. I know if I don't use it I could end up dead. Doctor not much help now, although I have a followup next month. Maybe the machine can be fine-tuned for more pleasure. When the leaks occur it usually wakes me up when the machine surges. Is it really necessary to let the machine go to 20 to compensate? Don't know. Here is the screenshot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2016, 12:19 PM)Lost53 Wrote: I appreciate the responses I have received. This screen shot includes about 40 minutes of activity. Just for reference, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with central apneas and cheynes-stokes breathing patterns over a year ago. I have no other complications or medical problems and was finally put on an ASV machine in May of this year. No more Central Apneas but still feel like!#@!%## when I wake up in the morning with no dreams during the night. I wear the mask 100% every day but am tiring of the hassle. I know if I don't use it I could end up dead. Doctor not much help now, although I have a followup next month. Maybe the machine can be fine-tuned for more pleasure. When the leaks occur it usually wakes me up when the machine surges. Is it really necessary to let the machine go to 20 to compensate? Don't know. Here is the screenshot.

Your AHI would have been 0.0 if you had turned off the ramp feature. Notice that the hypopneas in your screenshot occurred during the ramp phase. That also happened when you first put on the mask. Your machine hit close to 20 cm H2O a couple of times in your screenshot in response to your Central Apnea. There is no indication that you woke up. Your screenshot did show a couple of leak episodes between 0:50 and 1:20. That was probably because of a sleep position issue. One caveat is that an ASV machine is contraindicated for patients with Congestive Heart Failure who have an ejection fraction below 45%. You said that you had no other medical problems so I trust that this is not relavant to you. The other thing you mention is still having poor sleep quality. You need to talk with your "Sleep Doctor" about this and maybe your Primary physician as well.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,977 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 525 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 935 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 543 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 235 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.