Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Accidentally Slept Without MY CPAP Machine
RE: I Accidentally Slept Without MY CPAP Machine
I always take my mask completely off for bathroom breaks. I wear a full face mask and have a quick disconnect on the hose also, but I'm pretty sure I would not get it reconnected in my foggy, sleepy haze during those times. Mine disconnected once by accident and I awoke gasping. The pamphlet that came with my mask says not to wear it unless the machine is connected and on as not enough fresh air will be provided through the mask, and rebreathing of exhaled air for longer than several minutes can in some circumstances lead to suffocation. Wouldn't that be ironic? To suffocate due to my sleep apnea equipment?! Never heard of it happening to anyone, but I try to err on the side of caution.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2019, 09:08 AM)matsarge Wrote: I'm looking into the same thing (whole house generator) for the same reasons. For my house, it's about $12K installed for a Generac Guardian Series 22kW Generator w/200 AMP ATS.

I got the quote earlier this year before the whole CPAP thing started so it's a top of list item now. Like others have noted, I can't sleep without the CPAP.

I pulled the trigger on this and they are pouring the pad today. The generator should be installed and functional next week. I also bought the Phillips PAP battery for the Dreamstation. It will be good when I need to travel.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can go a night or two without my machine. The last time was when I had my cataract surgery and the doctor recommended I not use the machine the first night IF I COULD TOLERATE not using it. Part of it was the way my mask would not properly fit over the side of the bandage and would cause leaks that would blow across the eye. BTW, he is on CPAP also. I have had a couple of times where I got up in the middle of the night and thought I turned the machine back on. Woke up and it was off. Still felt halfway decent in the morning.

A lot of it is how well you can tolerate not being on the machine. SOme folks as you have already read must have the machine to survive. Others, like me, can tolerate periods away from the machine but this time should only be an oops and not a conscious decision not to use the machine.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 89 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,734 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 672 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 366 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.