Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Accidentally Slept Without MY CPAP Machine
RE: I Accidentally Slept Without MY CPAP Machine
I have nodded off a couple of times in an afternoon, when I didn't expect to and therefore didn't have my face hugger on. I was soon awakened though, either by a big apnea or simply by the now-unfamiliar sensation of sleep with no mask on.

I can't sleep without CPAP now, a combination of worry (one heart attack is enough, thanks) and struggling without the familiar pressure. That doesn't stop me wishing I didn't need the darn thing though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using CPAP about a month now. I have never gone one full night with the machine on constantly. I usually wake up real early morning, have to take it off and get another hour or so of sleep. My sleep with the machine on is no better than before, but I do notice that last hour always seems to be much better than with the machine, AND much better than those nights when I don't use the machine at all.

Without the machine I tend to sleep on my stomach. I could never sleep on my back. With the machine I end up usually sleeping on my back. I guess that could be considered an improvement. I have yet to notice any other improvements, blood pressure if anything has been higher, still just as tired during the day, no weight loss (in fact a tiny gain). Where I am really hoping it is going to be an improvement is travel. I have yet to try it on a flight - would like ot do that soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Woke up one morning and turned my machine off. Instead it turned on. Puzzled. Turned it off. Later in the day I thought about it and inspected the machine. It reported only one hour of sleep. Curious, I continued inspection. The mask hose had separated from the climate line hose and the machine shut itself off. I slept approx 7 hours, masked up but without air.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only slept once without mine since December, back in March. I really didn't go to bed that night, had to get up every 2 hours to shovel water out of the basement landing. Fun night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2019, 08:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Never happened, never will.  Cannot sleep without the pressure. I have taken machines from my wife and best friend when mine failed.  Finding myself without positive pressure is a panic inducing experience.

This.  If the power goes out at night, I wake up gasping.  Do not sleep again until power is restored.  I literally can't sleep without my PAP.
MikeyT

In the Thumb of Michigan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2019, 02:13 PM)MikeyT Wrote: If the power goes out at night, I wake up gasping.  Do not sleep again until power is restored.  I literally can't sleep without my PAP.

I have a UPS that takes over when the grid fails, but it doesn't last long. I will turn off the humidifier so it will last longer, but even then it doesn't last more than an hour or so.

At that point I haul out my old PRS1, take the battery out of my car, and hook them together with special cables designed for this purpose. (PRS1 runs natively on 12 volts DC.)

I would invest in a more convenient set up, but I only have to do this once every few years. I am at this point very close to getting a whole house generator that runs on natural gas and takes over automatically when the grid goes down. In addition to worry-free CPAP use I'll also have central air conditioning, refrigeration, hot water, and can watch OTA television broadcasts.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm looking into the same thing (whole house generator) for the same reasons. For my house, it's about $12K installed for a Generac Guardian Series 22kW Generator w/200 AMP ATS.

I got the quote earlier this year before the whole CPAP thing started so it's a top of list item now. Like others have noted, I can't sleep without the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP going on 6 years. There are times I wish I didn't have to deal with strapping it on and adjusting it. I'd be tempted not to use it some nights but knowing my husband's sleep would be disturbed keeps me honest.

It is a nuisance most nights getting it on and comfortable. I use a mask with pillows. First, I get bubbles around my nose from the humidifier moisture. When I finally get that stopped, then annoying little squeals begin where a little air is seeping and more adjusting is required (usually a number of times). Some nights are worse than others and I get agitated getting it situated and comfortable. Once I am asleep, I sleep soundly through the night. I am aware that I have been dreaming when I wake up. I went for years with no dreams and had to get up for the bathroom a lot in the night. With CPAP, I feel rested the entire day and evening. That keeps me going with the CPAP.

Sometimes when I wake in the morning and decide I want to sleep in, and my husband is already up (he is a very early riser), I will remove the CPAP and go back to sleep. I sleep well those times and am aware that I have dreammed without the CPAP. I find that interesting and it is a liberating feeling to take it off and sleep. It's my time to cheat a little. I know I could not get away with it all night though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2019, 08:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Never happened, never will.  Cannot sleep without the pressure. I have taken machines from my wife and best friend when mine failed.  Finding myself without positive pressure is a panic inducing experience.

I have the same attitude. The pressure, even though higher than most, is not an issue for me any more. I deliberately did not wear my cpap one night and the results were a disaster. Terrible night sleep, nightmares, waking up, etc. The following day was horrible. Had to go to sleep on and off all day and that resulted in messing up my next two nights sleep with cpap. So glad when things normalized. Won't try that again. Dielaughing
Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply

I have the same attitude. The pressure, even though higher than most, is not an issue for me any more. I deliberately did not wear my cpap one night and the results were a disaster. Terrible night sleep, nightmares, waking up, etc. The following day was horrible. Had to go to sleep on and off all day and that resulted in messing up my next two nights sleep with cpap. So glad when things normalized. Won't try that again. Dielaughing
Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 201 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,746 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 675 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 370 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.