Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Keep Meeting People Who Don't Use Their Machines
RE: I Keep Meeting People Who Don't Use Their Machines
Jdirection, THANK YOU, for this study!! It confirms everything that I said before. Lack of follow up with one's therapist or doctor is the reason most people stop their therapy. I

It's really a no brainer, when you understand that sleep therapy is no different from any other kind of on going therapy. The main reason for poor compliance with any kind of chronic treatment is poor follow up. This includes diabetic management, cholesterol management, weight loss programs, hypertension treatment programs, asthma, etc. You name it, but if people don't follow up, there is a good chance they won't continue their treatment the way they should. This is particularly true if they have lost faith, when the treatment isn't working the way it should be.
Post Reply Post Reply
A conversation with my doctor led me to think I might have sleep apnea. He ordered a sleep study. The next morning I awoke inhaling air. I remember thinking how familiar it seemed. From there I was convinced I had it, it was confirmed by the sleep study, and I couldn't wait to get the CPAP machine. I've used it every night since then, despite the problems I had adjusting to it. It was horrible, but I got through it. I just couldn't give up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So basicly what your saying is because I havent seen my clinic for nearly 2 years or been contacted for a follow up is the reason why I dont wear my mask all the time? Thats horse manure! maybe a small percentage decide to give up because of their doc but for me it has nothing to do with if they call me or not, I chose not to wear it all the time. take this coming sunday night, England v Italy. I shall be drinking and will NOT be wearing my mask because I probably wont be able to mange it due to having a skin full Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 12:01 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: So basicly what your saying is because I havent seen my clinic for nearly 2 years or been contacted for a follow up is the reason why I dont wear my mask all the time? Thats horse manure! maybe a small percentage decide to give up because of their doc but for me it has nothing to do with if they call me or not, I chose not to wear it all the time. take this coming sunday night, England v Italy. I shall be drinking and will NOT be wearing my mask because I probably wont be able to mange it due to having a skin full Too-funny

Dreamcatcher, the above study talked about MOST people, who give up on their therapy because of lack of follow up. Apparently it wasn't talking about you, because you obviously, according to this study, are not like MOST patients. Bigwink

As a physician, I am glad you are in the minority. I find that MOST of my patients follow recommmendations most of the time, because I take the time to follow up with them and show them that I care.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 12:28 PM)BabyDoc Wrote:
(06-22-2012, 12:01 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: So basicly what your saying is because I havent seen my clinic for nearly 2 years or been contacted for a follow up is the reason why I dont wear my mask all the time? Thats horse manure! maybe a small percentage decide to give up because of their doc but for me it has nothing to do with if they call me or not, I chose not to wear it all the time. take this coming sunday night, England v Italy. I shall be drinking and will NOT be wearing my mask because I probably wont be able to mange it due to having a skin full Too-funny

Dreamcatcher, the above study talked about MOST people, who give up on their therapy because of lack of follow up. Apparently it wasn't talking about you, because you obviously, according to this study, are not like MOST patients. Bigwink

As a physician, I am glad you are in the minority. I find that MOST of my patients follow recommmendations most of the time, because I take the time to follow up with them and show them that I care.

I hear you and do agree that a follow up is a must but what about the people who say, bugger it Im not going to bother or its a pain. I wonder what the actual percentage is and maybe a survey should be done on people like me who are not scared of going without. Good points though Babydoc.

...and yes there's no one like me Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 12:48 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: ...and yes there's no one like me Dielaughing

A truer statement has never been typed on the Apnea Board forum, my friend. Bigwink Too-funnyDielaughingDancing

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 02:19 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(06-22-2012, 12:48 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: ...and yes there's no one like me Dielaughing

A truer statement has never been typed on the Apnea Board forum, my friend. Bigwink Too-funnyDielaughingDancing

Coffee

Without me you wouldnt get to argue points even though Im usually wrong Oh-jeez and theres not many people who can take a battering by a women with a verbal baseball bat Laugh-a-lot Maybe I should change my name to spellchecker Dielaughing Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2012, 08:27 PM)archangle Wrote: Find out whether they have a good CPAP machine and offer to haul it away for free. Then sell it or give it to someone who will use it.

Maybe I should figure out a way to strike up conversations with people about that. Maybe some "CPAP is great" T-shirts. I might make some money our help out some people who have been bricked by their DME.

I'm only half joking. I do try to convince people they need to use their machines or that they need to get a sleep test, but sometimes, it's like doing card tricks for dogs.

well i like attitude but that is what i do have never paid over 300$ for machine and use all of them spent 4 days with friends and she is fine or fixed paid 2700 for cpap and does not use it im waiting,oh i have given 4away to rv vetrens on small incomes they are great for spares
Post Reply Post Reply
As a patient who fell out of use with CPAP, let me tell you that in my case there was not a single factor that made me stop using it for a;ll those years. You all appear to be looking for easy answers and there just are none. Back then, the machine was loud. It interrupted my wife's sleep so we traded off my health for hers. Back then the machines were not kind to the patients. You hooked into the air compressor and toughed it out. Add to that no one ever followed up from the medical plan I have. They never even checked to see if I was compliant. Just today I was in my ortho's office for a pre-surgical and she could not figure out why it did not show that I was a CPAP patient when she put it back in my record herself last year!
Today, the machines are silent. Or nearly so, with a slight hearing loss I certainly can't hear it! My wife sleeps on in peace. No health trade offs. My machine is kind to me! It works with me instead of against me! Such great strides have been made! Even if I did have to put up the money myself to get a decent machine! I just cannot emphasize how far we have come! As far as the medical team...well...they have their uses, but obviously they are still lagging behind!
Overall, having been through all of this, I am a better CPAP patient for it. I can now live with my therapy (I know how bad it CAN be first hand!) and it is thanks to people like Mark and Secondwind and JediMark at Sleepyhead that have worked so hard to put these tools in the hands of those of us who fend for ourselves that I am once again complaint...I still hate that term with a passion! I am not compliant, I am sucking the marrow from the bones of life!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again, mj, I agree with you, I HATE THAT TERM COMPLIENT,too. They treat us like babies in a lot of cases and COMPLIENT is a term used in government, all the time, DOWN WITH COMPLIENT.!!! Anyway, that's it, I'm off my soapbox for now, (Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 133 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 876 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 528 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 617 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 84,171 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,132 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 379 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.