Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Keep Meeting People Who Don't Use Their Machines
I Keep Meeting People Who Don't Use Their Machines
I met a woman at Costco who said she can't use her machine because she was in a car accident a while back and her brain is spaghetti, as she pointed the the back of her head. said something about anxiety and can't sleep and her mind messes with the machine. Whatever......I tried to tell her she really needs that machine to prevent the very thing she is afraid of, a stroke. Heart attack, death. I couldn't get thru to her. Oh well. Sleep doctors don't follow up and help these people get on the ,machines. This is sad. I think I could stand in a store all day trying to tell people how important the c-pap machine is. Some people want one and can't afford it and another has one and won't use it.AAAAAAKK.Crazy She was kind of hyper sand kept me about 20-30 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I Keep Meeting People Who Don't Use Their Machines
Hi Sleeping Beauty Turquoise, I understand your passion and your wish that this woman you met would use her machine. But in the end, she has to decide to use it on her own. No amount of trying to convince her is going to help if she doesn't want to use it. If she has a severe head injury, that might possibly play a part in her unwillingness or inability to use it. Keep trying to share your passion regarding your CPAP therapy and the benefits it has given to you with others but just recognize that, as much as you would like others to share your passion, there will also be others that you may never. convince. You know that old saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Yes it is unfortunate that there are people that would give anything to have a machine and for whatever reason cant get one when there are others that, for whatever reason won't use theirs. Good to see you again,,Take care.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Find out whether they have a good CPAP machine and offer to haul it away for free. Then sell it or give it to someone who will use it.

Maybe I should figure out a way to strike up conversations with people about that. Maybe some "CPAP is great" T-shirts. I might make some money our help out some people who have been bricked by their DME.

I'm only half joking. I do try to convince people they need to use their machines or that they need to get a sleep test, but sometimes, it's like doing card tricks for dogs.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a very good way to look at it. Card tricks for dogs.

There's a lot of other conversations that would fit that.

What I find is that people, some users, but mostly non-users, who think CPAP is a treatment that is stopped after a while. The idea of using it for life is startling to them. And most also believe it is weight related.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a co-worker who has convinced herself that she no longer needs hers. She never really was able to get used to the mask. I've known her well for years, and I know better than to try and talk her into using it. She knows better, but in her mind she's been able to rationalize not needing it.

It's like Trish said, you can lead a horse to water ...
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2012, 08:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What I find is that people, some users, but mostly non-users, who think CPAP is a treatment that is stopped after a while. The idea of using it for life is startling to them. And most also believe it is weight related.

My sleep doctor seems to think I will be able to stop CPAP when I lose about 70 pounds. But, I snored like a chainsaw even when I was in the army, and both my parents snore. My dad is one of those people who refuses to use CPAP, even when he was in the hospital while recovering from a heart attack.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am another one of those that has been a life time LOUD snorer. I have been in denial about the sleep apnea, told myself that it wasnt bad when i slept on my side. Just turned 51 and this year started noticing cognitive deficits, trouble finding words and things like that, going down rabbit trails in my mind, trouble focusing. I knew what was wrong. Got my sleep study and diagnosed with severe apnea (when on my back, yes, still some denial here, but just a tiny bit)

Anyway, have used my machine religiously since getting it. Three weeks now, feeling sharper mentally. Got the autoset and quattro on your recommendations. They recommended nasal mask with a chin strap. Might as well use the full face, imho, if i have to truss myself up ith extra straps. I love the quattro, btw.

Funny thing is, for the last 5 years it has been part of my job to convince people to be compliant with medical stuff. Its kinda like the fact many respiratory therapists are smokers.

I think they should videotape non compliant poeple. Maybe watching themselves choke would be effective. I am only sorry I didnt get to this earlier. Spouse sleeping much better without all the noise....feel a bit bad about that one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Im from the otherside (The Darkside). Collect bucket of sand and stick head in kind of guy Too-funny for the first year some nights or even weeks I didnt bother with it. Its not that I dont tolerate it I love my machine, its like a women you need a break from it now and then.

When I go on my hols next month it will be staying here. being sleep deprived the machine gives me no relief. I've been without sleep for many years and my body has adjusted to it. If a person has decided not to bother then thats there choice, its like smoking the warning signs make no difference to a person who has there head in the sand and no matter how much you tell them that they could die, in one ear and out the other, it wont make any difference. As long as your doing whats good for you thats all that matters.

As for me being a carer, I dont always get the chance to go to bed and sleep but when I do, I use my mask. So far this year Ive only missed a couple of nights, each to their own Smile

DC
Post Reply Post Reply
Not being compliant with sleep therapy or any other kind of therapy, in many cases, is the result of poor communication between the doctor and the patient. Giving false expectations of results and not following up with patient is going to lead to failure in a high percentage of the cases.
A physician or therapist is usually at fault for not explaining to the patient that adjustments to their therapy is not only possible but is very probable. One mask or one machine doesn't fit all, just as a single size pair of shoes can't fit everyone. I am amazed when I meet people who haven't tolerated their therapy who have not called their sleep therapist back to complain. They just put the machine in the closet and forget about it.

In large part, again, it is the therapists fault for not telling his patient to call him if it isn't working.
As a successful physician, I would take that one step further. I call my patients to see how they are doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2012, 10:12 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: Not being compliant with sleep therapy or any other kind of therapy, in many cases, is the result of poor communication between the doctor and the patient. Giving false expectations of results and not following up with patient is going to lead to failure in a high percentage of the cases.
A physician or therapist is usually at fault for not explaining to the patient that adjustments to their therapy is not only possible but is very probable. One mask or one machine doesn't fit all, just as a single size pair of shoes can't fit everyone. I am amazed when I meet people who haven't tolerated their therapy who have not called their sleep therapist back to complain. They just put the machine in the closet and forget about it.

In large part, again, it is the therapists fault for not telling his patient to call him if it isn't working.
As a successful physician, I would take that one step further. I call my patients to see how they are doing.

I disagree and its not often I do that. I like most over here are given a full run down and explanation of the machine and pressures etc. I would say it comes down to choice. Having to wear a mask is a life changing event which some people will just not tolerate no matter how much education you give them. For me if I chose not to wear my mask one night I wont, its not because of not knowing the facts as I have a gain a huge amount of knowledge from forums and reading books etc. I know exactly what can happen to me but like the fags, it may kill me but it wont stop me because I have a choice.

DC
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 594 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,113 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,016 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 345 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.