Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Love CPAP, but... please help me with these side-effects
RE: I Love CPAP, but... please help me with these side-effects
Timur, has LFHC worked well for you for weight loss? I'm finding it extremely effective.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of "fun" facts about weight gain/loss.

100 extra calories a day result in 10 lbs extra weight in a year. So it's easy to calculate how many calories you have overeaten.  It's not much, so reduce it and you'll stop gaining weight.  It's probably in your snacks and the empty calories in restaurant/takeout food.

Couple that with 1/2 hr of brisk walking daily and you'll slowly loose some weight.  Maybe 120 -150 calories spent, so 12 to 15 lbs a year.  Slow and  steady wins the race.  Nothing extreme.

Exercise increases metabolism and builds muscle.  

And muscle burns more calories than fat.

A waist that is smaller than the hips has a higher metabolism rate than the opposite.

Occassionally, interrupt your schedule by eating more or exercising more or less, so your metabolism doesn't become complacent.

Keep moving throughout the day.

Exercising regularly will also improve sleep.  (Bonus!!!)

Stomachs ........ yikes.  Dielaughing

Core muscles need strenthening.   When well taught, pilates helps to develop core muscles, improve posture and develop strong, long muscles throught the body.

All of these are doable.  All it takes is intent.  Intent is the difficult part.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2018, 10:55 AM)paulag1955 Wrote: Timur, has LFHC worked well for you for weight loss? I'm finding it extremely effective.

Hi Paula,

It has worked very well, and is the only way I've managed to successfully lose weight AND keep the weight off (and not go crazy with hunger!) I've been eating this way now since before I started XPAP and not put on much weight at all since starting XPAP... maybe about 2 pounds or so and that might be muscle because I am much more physically active now than I was several years ago. Like you I find a LCHF diet  very effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
New member here, joining the conversation....

I find that I'm hungry ALL the time. I never used to be hungry till 3-4 in the afternoon, now I'm hungry all day AND all evening, and I'm gaining weight. Mind you, I'm not snacking on anything healthy, but on what tastes good... I know, REALLY bad behavior.

I'm just not used to being hungry all the time. This is absolutely new for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Strange, when I was on CPAP I didn't fart a lot, but hay ho!  Since I have had my APAP with a lot lower a pressure I could fart for all of us put together!   Too-funny 
As far a weight gain is concerned I did put on some weight at the start (I was also on drugs that all had a weight gain side effect, lucky me), however, I am still on a lot of these drugs and have lost a lot of weight.  How I hear you ask?  It is very simple, I looked at my plate one night and decided I didn't need to eat all the food on it and I cut the portions in half.  A third of me has vanished to date and I am very seldom ever hungry (I was at the start, but it was a habit of just eating a snack or taking the extra bit of food from the serving dish because no one else wanted it and I was brought up not to waste anything.  I stopped eating just because it was time to eat and just ate as soon as I was peckish, not after I get hungry, you will eat twice as much then as well.  Never go shopping when you are hungry either, you will buy a lot more and even buy something to eat on the way home.
All you have to do is take what is on your plate and half it.  You don't need to go around the town or countryside running (if you are able) just cut down on the amount of food, never mind counting calories, that is just crap.  Eat what you eat but eat a lot less of it and the weight will come off, but you have to stick with it.  I even have the odd bar of chocolate, but that might be once in every two weeks.  I am not trying to loose weight, it is just going at a speed I can cope with, very slowly and safely and it is going at a speed that I can cope with, it is just how I will be eating from now on.
I am no longer interested in eating a big meal even if out for a meal, I just eat what I need to keep going and it is not a diet sized meal or calorie counted.
So come on, if I can do it anyone can.

I wish I could stop farting though!   Dont-know
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep2Snore - Congrats!!!! That's fantastic!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I definitely know what I need to do, I just need to do it! I just never expected to be hungry all the time.

I'd always read that lack of sleep could cause weight gain and make losing difficult.

I had no idea being on my CPAP could cause constant hunger and gain.

I'm definitely craving sugar, so I'm wondering if I need to do a candida cleanse as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
To Update...

This thread, plus a friend (who has always been larger than me, until recently) giving me her "fat clothes" which she no longer had a use for, was the kick in the pants I needed.

6 weeks ago, I started Couch to 5k, and I've been doing it 1-2 x/week. I also joined Weight Watchers 5 weeks ago, and have lost 10 pounds so far!

Weight Watchers is teaching me that I really was overeating. So now I'm learning better portion sizes, and better self-control (ie: only get Starbucks 1-2 x/week, and don't eat out more than 1 x/day).

As far as gas... I am now sleeping on 2 pillows (my shoulders are at the 1st pillow's level, and my head is on the 2nd pillow). And I try to sleep more on my right side or on my back. And this has significantly helped!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
The slower you loose the weight the more chance you have of keeping it off.
I have seen to many people loose weight quite quickly, but they all put it back on again.  Plus a bit more and not just a little bit more.
I don't know if it is the fact no one is hounding them to loose weight any more or they just go back to what they were doing, but most put it back on.
Good luck with it though, at least you are not just talking about doing something about it.
10 pounds is a lot of weight to loose, well done.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2018, 04:24 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: To Update...

This thread, plus a friend (who has always been larger than me, until recently) giving me her "fat clothes" which she no longer had a use for, was the kick in the pants I needed.

6 weeks ago, I started Couch to 5k, and I've been doing it 1-2 x/week.  I also joined Weight Watchers 5 weeks ago, and have lost 10 pounds so far!  

Weight Watchers is teaching me that I really was overeating. So now I'm learning better portion sizes, and better self-control (ie: only get Starbucks 1-2 x/week, and don't eat out more than 1 x/day).

As far as gas... I am now sleeping on 2 pillows (my shoulders are at the 1st pillow's level, and my head is on the 2nd pillow).  And I try to sleep more on my right side or on my back.  And this has significantly helped!!!!

Good job Hydrangea on losing weight and having the courage to stick with the program.  I wish I had some of your determination.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 525 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,095 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 516 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 325 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 449 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 546 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.