Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Need Some Educaation on RERA's Please!
I Need Some Educaation on RERA's Please!
I know RERA stands for Respiratory Event Related Arousals--and that is about all I know. How much do they effect sleep quality? I don't have Restless Leg Syndrome but sometimes move around a lot--especially now after knee replacement surgery trying to get comfortable. I always have RERAs--probably average 20-25/night since I started CPAP in September 2015. In the last 3 out of 4 days I've had 61, 69, and 62. I appreciate any information, advice, guesses, etc., that might be forthcoming! Thinking-about

Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I Need Some Educaation on RERA's Please!
I used to experience a lot more RERA's that I currently do. They have really dropped over the last few months, and I can only assume its from tweaking my lower pressure upwards until I could see a difference in the RERA's. But what I also noticed was while getting results with lower RERA's, Flow Limations and snoring came way down too.

A RERA is a Hypopnea that hasn't grown up..."a Baby Hypopnea".

A Hypopnea is scored when the airway is collapsing, but there is still an effort to breathe, and lasting at least 10 sec.
A RERA is scored when the airway just starts to collapse, with an effort to breathe, usually resulting in arousal. A RERA doesn't last long enough to be flagged (Baby Hypopnea.), but as far as I can tell, it still affects your sleep.

Basically, you are arousing yourself before the RERA has a change to be flagged as a Hypopnea.

I don't see much written about it, and some machines don't record RERA's.

I'm sure that others on this forum are more knowledgeable than I am on this subject.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SideSleeper

RERA stands for Respiratory *Effort* Related Arousal.

These are arousals caused by needing to exert excessive effort during inhalation because of partial obstruction in the airway.

All arousals kick us out of a deeper stage of sleep into either a more shallow stage of sleep or an awakening, and tend to prevent us from reaching deep restorative sleep and/or REM sleep, both of which we need.

RERAs are not counted in the AHI. AHI is the average per hour of the total Apneas plus Hypopneas.

The Respiratory Disturbance Index (RDI) is the average number of RERA per hour plus the AHI.

RERA is an obstructive event. Like all obstructive events, higher pressure tends to prevent RERA. Also, I think an A-Flex or C-Flex setting of 1 is best for avoiding RERA, because settings of 2 and 3 cause the pressure to drop earlier, while we are trying to finish the last bit of our inhalation.

If one is using ResMed EPR, I think higher pressure with an EPR setting of 3 is best for helping to avoid RERA.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
From PRS1 Auto manual
Event definitions: RERA (Respiratory effort-related arousal) is defined as an arousal from sleep that follows a 10 second or longer sequence of breaths that are characterized by increasing respiratory effort, but which does not meet criteria for an apnea or hypopnea. Snoring, though usually associated with this condition need not be present. The RERA algorithm monitors for a sequence of breaths that exhibit both a subtle reduction in airflow and progressive flow limitation. If this breath sequence is terminated by a sudden increase in airflow along with the absence of flow limitation, and the event does not meet the conditions for an apnea or hypopnea, a RERA is indicated.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 183 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 708 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,243 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 578 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation xaid 2 772 07-09-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Persistent OA, Hypoapneas and RERA events despite Pressure Increase chewielotuses 7 1,027 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  High mask pressure causing RERA? webweaver 2 1,074 12-15-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.