Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Sent A Letter To Get My Records
RE: I Sent A Letter To Get My Records
I ran into the same thing. It was called SleepHealthCenters, right? I sent them a letter asking for my records and never heard back.

About a month ago I had my first visit with my sleep doc and she was able to get at my records from the defunct company in under a minute - not sure how she has access to them but she said she has access that I don't. So you might want to check with your local sleep doc.

What really made me mad, however, was last week I started getting calls from a company calling itself SleepHealthCenters saying it was time to purchase new CPAP supplies - mask, hose, filters. As if it was a prescription I had with them and they were calling me as a courtesy. I asked them how they got my information and they said that they bought the data and company name when it went bankrupt. They are basically cold-calling the customer list trying to make sales. I asked them how this wasn't a violation of my patient privacy rights and the HIPAA laws - they promptly hung up. In my opinion these guys are acting outside the law and they *will* get caught.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like I said...
Scoundrels!

Wink

PS: I just googled them and got their web site. (like their name)
Apparently they are still trying to reel people in!!
Looks like a whole ring of crooked operations all over the US.

AMA would be a good place to complain and Better Business Bureau,
resident city chamber of commerce.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I did some research for you on the internet. SleepHealthCenters has appears to have entered receivership in Massachusetts, not bankruptcy per the following (article dated 2.6.13):

By Chelsea Conaboy, Globe Staff

A Suffolk County Superior Court judge has appointed a representative to liquidate Sleep HealthCenters’ assets and pay the company’s debts. The chain of sleep clinics closed last month, citing financial trouble partly resulting from changes in how health insurers pay for sleep-disorder testing.

The company owed Rockland Trust Company about $1.6 million under a loan agreement from 2009, when the company acquired a group of Arizona sleep clinics, according to court records. The bank filed a complaint on Feb. 1 requesting receivership, in which the judge directs an independent entity to manage the dissolution of the company. Receivership is generally seen as an alternative to bankruptcy.

The court appointee is Jacen Dinoff of the KCP Advisory Group in Burlington, who previously served as a financial consultant to Sleep HealthCenters. The company had 19 clinics, including 11 in Massachusetts.

Perhaps you can contact Jacen Dinoff directly for your records. Google KCP Advisory Group for contact info. I believe your records are also protected under HIPAA but I am not certain of the interaction between HIPAA and receivership.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2013, 07:42 AM)GuitarManDave Wrote: I ran into the same thing. It was called SleepHealthCenters, right? I sent them a letter asking for my records and never heard back.

About a month ago I had my first visit with my sleep doc and she was able to get at my records from the defunct company in under a minute - not sure how she has access to them but she said she has access that I don't. So you might want to check with your local sleep doc.

What really made me mad, however, was last week I started getting calls from a company calling itself SleepHealthCenters saying it was time to purchase new CPAP supplies - mask, hose, filters. As if it was a prescription I had with them and they were calling me as a courtesy. I asked them how they got my information and they said that they bought the data and company name when it went bankrupt. They are basically cold-calling the customer list trying to make sales. I asked them how this wasn't a violation of my patient privacy rights and the HIPAA laws - they promptly hung up. In my opinion these guys are acting outside the law and they *will* get caught.

OMG!!! Yes that is the one. Now I am ANGRY!!!!!! I don't have a lot of time or all these phone calls will need to make. Grrrrrrrr. THIS has me very worried!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your research . I have seen Jacen Dinoffs name before. Maybe on the forms. I think I tossed them in the trash since I was not going to fill it out and mail it in with my signature on it. I do have Thursday off but I have a personal meeting with someone not related to this. I hope to have time to at least call the state insurance company and see what they can do. This is not a good feeling. I realize my social# is available thru my medicare card. I do NOT need this stress and worry. UGH We sign all these papers so no one can read our medical in a family yet thousands of strangers now can get them so easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
I called a few places and the Board of Do as the doctor is a Neurologist with some sleep medicine. I can complain that I was never informed by the doctor himself. Doctor of Osteopath. Az Medical Board has no jurisdiction over this doctor, only the DO board. As for HIPPA, I have not contacted them yet. It seems a long list of places to try to contact but with little hope of any resolve. This is so wrong! But we patients seem to have no hope. You know how we always have a form to sign about who can or can not have access to our records, as if it matters and yet Joe Schmoe can get them easier that you yourself can! Exasperating and disgusting! The people I spoke to were nice, understanding but each only has so much power. I am getting a complaint form about the doctor sent to me to fill out and mail back. No AMA or anyone will do anything it seems. HIPPA hummmm I dunno. Read tape exhausts me.
Post Reply Post Reply
SLEEP HEALTH CENTERS
Please read my recent reply. I spoke to several nice women, but none can help much. I can complain that I was never notified by the doctor himself, only the receivership ( another name for bankrupt) company. There oughtta be a law for this! The doctor is licensed in Mass. and AZ Do licensed here. But he is primarily a neurologist. No wonder he never said anything much to me. I doubt Chamber of Commerce could help. It is some medical mess, is all I know. FRUSTRATED!!!!!!:HuhsignRolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SLEEP HEALTH CENTERS
(04-25-2013, 06:46 PM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote: Please read my recent reply. I spoke to several nice women, but none can help much. I can complain that I was never notified by the doctor himself, only the receivership ( another name for bankrupt) company. There oughtta be a law for this! The doctor is licensed in Mass. and AZ Do licensed here. But he is primarily a neurologist. No wonder he never said anything much to me. I doubt Chamber of Commerce could help. It is some medical mess, is all I know. FRUSTRATED!!!!!!:HuhsignRolleyes

Sorry to see that you are having trouble with them.
I went to them as well. They sent me emails and left several messages telling me that I could contact them for my records.
I left a voice mail and also sent a fax - got my records about a month later.
I don't remember what info I had to give them to get the records.
I'm sure you must have tried their website? SorryI can't find my emails from them to give you their address.
If I do I'll send it along to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SLEEP HEALTH CENTERS
(04-25-2013, 06:59 PM)johns019 Wrote:
(04-25-2013, 06:46 PM)Schnauzers 5 Wrote: Please read my recent reply. I spoke to several nice women, but none can help much. I can complain that I was never notified by the doctor himself, only the receivership ( another name for bankrupt) company. There oughtta be a law for this! The doctor is licensed in Mass. and AZ Do licensed here. But he is primarily a neurologist. No wonder he never said anything much to me. I doubt Chamber of Commerce could help. It is some medical mess, is all I know. FRUSTRATED!!!!!!:HuhsignRolleyes

Sorry to see that you are having trouble with them.
I went to them as well. They sent me emails and left several messages telling me that I could contact them for my records.
I left a voice mail and also sent a fax - got my records about a month later.
I don't remember what info I had to give them to get the records.
I'm sure you must have tried their website? SorryI can't find my emails from them to give you their address.
If I do I'll send it along to you.

I think the time has passed for getting any records or help. I did not get any forms in a timely manner and was advised to NOT sign a release, which I followed. However, they seem to have sold them anyway. sigh

It isn't records that I can about, it is my personal info going to bad people that worries me.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears your only option is to talk to a lawyer. In many places there are free lawyer services available and you can get a free consultation. They may be able to advise you as to some course of action you can take, such as writing a letter to a government agency or court.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compliance too good? Insurance Company denial letter Gideon 12 1,995 04-02-2021, 02:03 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Resmed 10 only records 4 min of data newmar 2 711 02-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Last Post: newmar
  cpap machine records apneas while I am still awake Ms. B 2 829 10-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Access to medical records in Australia - including results Jarm 0 738 06-14-2020, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Jarm
  Sleepyhead records and borrowed (trial) Bilevel? Spy Car 4 1,258 08-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Spy Car
Angry INSURANCE RECORDS: DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW? srlevine1 5 2,023 11-15-2016, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  A Letter My Sleep Health Center and Follow Up Schnauzers 5 29 10,992 03-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Ugly

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.