Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Think I'm Gonna Die
Sad 
I Think I'm Gonna Die
I have sleep apnea, and have been being treated for 10 months, now. I sleep with my full face mask on, every night. My SD card reading are pretty good, but I get occasional central apnea episodes. I woke up this morning, after 3 hours sleep, so low on oxygen. I was high and felt psychotic. I think this is going to give me brain damage or kill me...

Does the mask even help with central apnea episodes? Could I die from this? I'm 35 years old...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I Think I'm Gonna Die
How are you measuring your blood oxygen?
How low is it going?
How long in seconds are your central apneas?

When centrals are significant, there are other types of CPAP machines that better treat centrals.
The Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) machines are used when centrals are primary concern.

Please be more specific as to the ResMed machine you have...
On the S9 series, it says right by the start button.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
No, you're not going to die. You're not allowed to do that around here, so get over it. Now then, tell us as much as you can about your experiences.

First of all, what software are you using to read your sdcard? Sleepyhead? What is your pressure setting(s)? Your min, max pressures for last night for instance. What are your leak numbers? As to the AHI, how many OP's vs CA's vs Hypops?

Anything you can share with us will give us an opportunity to help you.

But the number one thing for you to do is relax. Come back to us as soon as you can.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a screenshot of my readings from last night, which don't look bad, but I sure woke up like I was dying.

*Edit... it's says I need 8 posts to post an image. I have 7 posts, so I'll post this, and the screenshot in the next post. *Edit again, it says I cannot post photos here. I'll type it out in my next post.

My pressure is 7-12, ramped.

When I was tested at the sleep center, they said my oxygen would fall into the 80's, the first night, so they adjusted my pressure to keep it up.

When I woke up this morning, after 3 hours sleep, my mouth was so dry I couldn't even swallow; it took 20 minutes to feel like my mouth was normal again. And I see fractal patterns and feel high and can barely walk or talk coherently.

I'm not exactly sure what my oxygen levels were, but I don't imagine they were great. I'm going to by an oxygen checker here soon, and I can let you all know what it is during these episodes.

My fear is that I'll die or get brain damage from these strange episodes...
Post Reply Post Reply
From last night.

Machine

ResMed IPX1

Product:

S9 Autoset

Total Usage:

Hours used: 7:09

AHI & AI (events/hour)

Apnea Index: 0.5
Obstructive: 0.0
Central: 0.2
Unknown: 0.2

Hypopnea Index: 0.8

AHI: 1.3

Leak (L/min):

Median: 15.6
95th Percentile: 54.0
Maximum: 180.0

Pressure (cmH20):

Median: 9.1
95th Percentile: 11.0
Maximum: 11.6
Post Reply Post Reply
With an AHI, and a breakdown like that, you sleep apnea is well under control. Whatever is going on it has nothing to do with your apnea treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
But it does have everything to do with your leaks. That is why you have such a dry mouth. Get your leaks under control and do everything you can to not breath through your mouth. That Sahara desert thing isn't fun, but it's fixable and not fatal. So revisit all the ideas about how to get a good mask seal. Additional options are to use a chinstrap over the mask, or better yet consider a different form of mask, such as a pillows mask.

In any case, your ahi looks good, so nothing to do there --- get the mouth breathing and leaks under control and you'll be good to go!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 07:09 PM)Nirvana Wrote: Leak (L/min):

95th percentile is too high, also the median and the maximum
AHI numbers are meaningless with such high leak numbers, you're not getting an adequate therapy, fix the leaks
Try pad-a-cheek mask liner or different mask, Quattro Air Support:
http://www.resmed.com/au/en/consumer/sup...rtDownload

We like to see leak below the magic number 24 but not the end of the world if goes over 24 for a brief period

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 07:09 PM)Nirvana Wrote: From last night.

Machine

ResMed IPX1

Product:

S9 Autoset

Total Usage:

Hours used: 7:09

AHI & AI (events/hour)

Apnea Index: 0.5
Obstructive: 0.0
Central: 0.2
Unknown: 0.2

Hypopnea Index: 0.8

AHI: 1.3

Leak (L/min):

Pressure (cmH20):

Median: 9.1
95th Percentile: 11.0
Maximum: 11.6

Correct me if I am wrong I am a newbie, but your leak rate is quite high. With 95th percentile at 54, wouldn't the calculated AHI value be off?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your right. If the leak numbers are too high, then the results "MAY" not be reported accurately. However that doesn't necessarily mean the system has missed any important events. It just means that the leaks need to come under control to find out exactly what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Humidifier &/or hose not working... I’m gonna drown! Kakesim 2 1,203 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Kakesim
Grin I HAVE A NEW MACHINE... and you're gonna hate me. snuffles 15 5,908 10-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.