Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Think I'm Gonna Die
RE: I Think I'm Gonna Die
For the last 297 days it says 66.0 for the Leak 95th Percentile... I wasn't aware it was leaking bad, or I got used to it... Not sure what to do to fix that. It seems fairly comfortable and I don't feel leaking when I fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
It needs to be below 24. So you are leaking someplace. Perhaps not until you fall asleep, because that's when our jaw relaxes and the fit of your mask could be compromised.

So work on the leaks, get a chinstrap if you have to in order to keep your mouth closed, or get a different mask.

Somebody already suggested the liners, and they can help. You can make one yourself from a cotton or cotton/poly fabric, such as a t-shirt. Just trace around the mask on the t-shirt leaving a good sized border. Cut out the liner, and cut out the middle for your nose and mouth to be in. Put it on, turn the machine on, and see if you get a good seal and nothing fluttering around from the liner making you crazy.

Post Reply Post Reply
everyone's face changes during the night. You likely won't feel it leaking when you fall asleep. As the pressure comes up, the tendency to leak goes up. Try tightening the straps a bit.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 08:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: everyone's face changes during the night. You likely won't feel it leaking when you fall asleep. As the pressure comes up, the tendency to leak goes up. Try tightening the straps a bit.

Yeah, I do wake up will it blasting my face with air, but it never is when I am falling asleep, as the pressure is ramped.

Think I should take the ramp off and adjust it at full strength?

Post Reply Post Reply
I would eliminate the ramp because I personally don't care for it. At your pressures you should not have any trouble falling asleep without the ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2014, 09:18 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I would eliminate the ramp because I personally don't care for it. At your pressures you should not have any trouble falling asleep without the ramp.

I agree.

(10-20-2014, 08:38 PM)Nirvana Wrote: Yeah, I do wake up will it blasting my face with air, but it never is when I am falling asleep, as the pressure is ramped.

Think I should take the ramp off and adjust it at full strength?

That air blast in the face is a sure sign of leaks. Many of us cannot sleep with a leak. either the air bothers us; or the mask seal flaps and makes a sound we call a "face fart."
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nirvana,
I agree with getting rid of the ramp, try that and see how you do.
Good luck to you as you get things fine tuned with your CPAP therapy and don't give up .
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You are about to learn how to really work your machine from all the help given here.

Then you will get effective therapy (maybe for the first time) and will not be waking up due to leaks.

After that, you are still having dry mouth or waking up from other (non CPAP/OSA0 problems you will start working through those as well.

Likely your problem is NOT your AHI or apnea, but those leaks do need to be stopped. Even if you are getting effective treatment the leaks alone are making your miserable (dry mouth) and probably waking you up with nose and blowing your eye as well.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
News flash, we are all going to die....... just not anytime soon hopefully. Fix your leaks if you can. I never used the ramp because I wanted to know if the mask was going to leak then fall asleep. Were you just guessing on the oxygen reading? Sounds like leaks a mouth leaks are the biggest problems.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
You say the pressure is 7 - 12 ramped. Does that mean that the ramp starts at 7 and your treatment pressure is 12? Or that you have an Autoset and the ramp is in use?

Look by the on/off button and tell us the name of your machine. If it is the Autoset, simply turning off the ramp is not going to be enough to help with mask fitting. You'll need to use the Mask Fit option.

Quote:I would eliminate the ramp because I personally don't care for it. At your pressures you should not have any trouble falling asleep without the ramp.

That statement does not hold true. We've had many people come here and say that 7 or even 8 was too high for them. Ramp is useful in the beginning, to help get used to the experience of it all. After that, I think we can all agree it is good to "wean" off of it since during the ramp, no events are recorded.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Humidifier &/or hose not working... I’m gonna drown! Kakesim 2 1,202 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Kakesim
Grin I HAVE A NEW MACHINE... and you're gonna hate me. snuffles 15 5,902 10-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.