Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Think I'm Gonna Die
RE: I Think I'm Gonna Die
Yeah, it's a ResMed Autoset. I shut the ramp off. This won't help anything?
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a setting called Mask Fit. You'll need to use that to get a strong enough pressure to test for leaks.

Press and hold the big knob for about three seconds. The pressure will increase to either 10cm or your 95% pressure, whichever is greater. You'll then have the chance to mess with the mask and check for leaks at that pressure. Repeat as necessary. Don't be fooled that it immediately says all is well. Lay down in bed like normal. Move around. Roll over. All that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
There's something wacky about these leaks. I can't imagine sleeping with all that air blowing out around the mask cushions. I would probably contact my DME clinician or the sleep doc to determine whether there is something wrong with my harness, mask, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been using your current mask setup? When is the last time you got a new headgear, cushion, etc.? what full face mask are you using? is it the right size? maybe the cushion is worn out and you need to replace it. Also, maybe your headgear has too much flexibility in it and needs to be replaced.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 12:46 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
Quote:I would eliminate the ramp because I personally don't care for it. At your pressures you should not have any trouble falling asleep without the ramp.

That statement does not hold true. We've had many people come here and say that 7 or even 8 was too high for them. Ramp is useful in the beginning, to help get used to the experience of it all. After that, I think we can all agree it is good to "wean" off of it since during the ramp, no events are recorded.

(10-21-2014, 12:53 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's a setting called Mask Fit. You'll need to use that to get a strong enough pressure to test for leaks.

Press and hold the big knob for about three seconds. The pressure will increase to either 10cm or your 95% pressure, whichever is greater. You'll then have the chance to mess with the mask and check for leaks at that pressure. Repeat as necessary. Don't be fooled that it immediately says all is well. Lay down in bed like normal. Move around. Roll over. All that.

Yes. I thought about that when I made the suggestion that I would turn ramp off. In this case the OP has been using the therapy for 10 months and successfully leaves his mask on 8 hours a night. So I really do think he could turn the ramp off without a problem.

Also, it really doesn't make any sense to me to go to all the trouble of going through a "mask test," make sure you're happy with the thing blowing full force when you lay down, then turning the machine off and on so it can gently "ramp." The mask test is a fine idea for those using ffm's, but once tested and all is well, it's time to go to sleep.

As you point out, the ramp is something that can be useful in the very beginning, but beyond that, when pressures are not all that high, I am unconvinced that it is particularly useful given the delayed ability of the machine to detect apneas. But as in all things, everyone needs to make their own decisions as to what makes them the most comfortable.

Post Reply Post Reply
I adjusted my mask and got 95th Pecentile: 34.0 last night. I use Quattro Air, full face mask. I'll keep messing with it, as I was able to diminish the leaks after one night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 02:17 PM)Nirvana Wrote: I adjusted my mask and got 95th Pecentile: 34.0 last night.
That is a good start, 95th percentile means leak was at or below 34 for 95% of the night (not at 34 for 95% of the night)

Is there a reason why are you using full face mask?
Full face masks tends to leak more than nasal pillows and nasal masks, and very tricky to conquer leaks ... at least for me

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2014, 03:07 PM)zonk Wrote: Is there a reason why are you using full face mask?
Full face masks tends to leak more than nasal pillows and nasal masks, and very tricky to conquer leaks ... at least for me

Zonk: Different stokes for different folks. I use a FFM because I a knuckle dragging mouth breather. I far prefer my Mirage Quattro with the forehead pad and adjustable top of cushion to nose bridge contact.

Finding the right mask is probably the key to success; and certainly to comfort on xPAP

K/R Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask fit is where the leak battle is won or lost. I use a Fitlife total face mask mostly. The leak test on the PRS1 throws 45 seconds of max pressure at the mask. If you going to leak youll leak then. I use it on a nasal I occasionally use also and if theres a leak youll know it during the test.

Usually pass the test unless you do head stands in bed you wont leak much if it all during the night.

But you wont die. I was desating O2 to low 60s and though I was a nut case in the mornings grey skin blue finger nails etc it didnt kill me. I probably had been going that low for over two months which is what got me to a doc to see if I was going senile or what was up. After a night on the machine that problem was gone and many more resolved after that in a short time. memory energy mood heart rate, BP all improved.

Stay at it. Its a pain for some folks but once they get it all straightened out its no more than pulling the covers back LOL

Edited to add. If you cannot get some other FFM to work. They simply wont with me due to missing teeth an no support for the cushions in places, try thee Fitlife total face. Yeah its big but no pressure points, not hard to size large fits most folks even women. And a clean face and clean mask seal about eliminates leaks. Its the only FFM that will seal on me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please put ResMed S9 AutoSet in your profile.

You may find SleepyHead better to look at your data. One thing to check is to look at the graph of the leak data. It will show you if you're leaking most of the night, part of the night, etc.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Humidifier &/or hose not working... I’m gonna drown! Kakesim 2 1,202 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Kakesim
Grin I HAVE A NEW MACHINE... and you're gonna hate me. snuffles 15 5,902 10-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Last Post: PaytonA

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.