Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I Think My Pressure Drops
I Think My Pressure Drops
First time here so I'm hoping you can help.  I got my Philips DreamStation in 2017 and used it for about six months and quit because it didn't seem like it was helping anything.  I just started using it again because I'm having apnea issues and wanted to give it another try.  The big issue I'm having is it starts off really blowing good but by morning or when I awake in the night, the pressure does not seem near what it was in the beginning.  My wife uses the same brand and we were using mine as a travel one for her but she does not want to use it anymore because it seems way to low to her too.  I learned how to adjust the pressure long ago and have it on 10 now.  I'm thinking the reason it didn't help me in the beginning is the pressure dropped off then too.  Any settings I'm missing or suggestions?
Thanks,
Tim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I Think My Pressure Drops
Welcome! Do you have a laptop or desktop computer? And does your machine have an SD card in it? If so, could you download Oscar (see top of page), import the data from your SD card, and then post a screenshot of a daily chart? That would completely clarify what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi offroadmaniac! - Welcome

To better understand what is happening with your Dreamstation, I recommend that you install OSCAR on your PC.  Depending on your Dreamstation model, you might be able to see a detailed graph of your sleep and pressure settings throughout the night in OSCAR's Daily screen.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Thanks for the suggestion.  I downloaded the app and data but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.  The pressure says its been 10 all night, or set at 10, not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can test the pressure accuracy at home.  Using a container (bucket) that is at least 15 cm (6 inches) in depth, fill it with water.  If you have a measuring stick, tape it to the air hose so its end and the hose end are even.  Place the hose end so it is just at the bottom of the container.  Turn on your CPAP and then slowly start retracting the hose from the container until you observe air bubbles starting to form.  Record the measurement of the hose location at the surface of the water.   The distance from the water's surface to the hose end is equal to the pressure. At a setting of 10 cm would make this be 3.93701 exactly.  For most people this is 3 15/16 of an inch (3.9375").

If you try this inside the house, I would recommend that you run this test while the container is in a sink or tub.  Otherwise, Momma will NOT be impressed with your experiment if you forget to turn the CPAP off prior to extracting the hose completely. Big Grin

Eat-popcorn
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done on Oscar! Your machine is set at 10 and maintained a pressure of 10 for the period we can see on the pressure graph. You're slightly zoomed in, so a part of the beginning and end of the night aren't showing up on the pressure graph. But your data over on the left show that your pressure was at 10 all night (min, med, 95%, max all = 10).

I wonder whether what you are experiencing is just getting used to the pressure as the night goes by.

By the way, great AHI!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Offroadmaniac and welcome to the forum. Like you, I use a full face mask and, at times my mask seems to behave better and I am more comfortable with it as the night goes on. A lot of people would like to have your AHI level and I think you should consider other factors such as how rested you feel when you get up in the morning. Follow your Oscar data and how you feel overall. 
Regards, Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
It must just be in my head but it does feel like it will push my cheeks out a lot when I start but not in the morning.  I'm just on my fourth night of using it again so hopefully my dyspnea and tiredness will get better.  Thank you all for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Offroad, let's try changing things up a bit. Set your machine to Auto CPAP mode, minimum 10.0, maximum 12.0 and turn on AFlex at 2. The machine will vary pressure just in case you need it, and the Flex will give you some contrast between inhale and exhale. This might be enough to resolve your sense the machine is not as high in the morning. You have excellent results, so our focus is to find settings you find comfortable. You can even try a minimum pressure of 9.0 if you prefer. Your machine is capable of auto pressure, and you might as well give it a try to see if you like it. If not, then turn back to fixed CPAP mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the pre-Dreamstation version of the Phillips machine and I find it is noisier at the start of use and feels like higher pressure than when I wake up and can't hear the machine and it seems like lower pressure. I check on Oscar and it is usually the same--right at my lower pressure. PR machines have pressure pulse--you can be sleeping along with no interruptions, your pressure at the lowest setting and it spikes the pressure--I guess it gets bored with straight lines. This pressure pulse bothers some people--I've never noticed it as a problem. I just wish it would do that when really needed!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 824 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,050 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,628 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Movement and spO2 drops newtothis123 3 440 10-06-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  How's my Oscar looking? Plus SpO2 drops Peter1 3 564 07-26-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.