Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oldie but Newbie
Oldie but Newbie
Hi Everyone..... I've been lurking in the shadows for the past few months and felt it was time to join. What a great forum this is, filled with useful tips, knowledge and insight.
It took years upon years to finally get the docs to understand what I was going through since my late teens. All the symptoms were there and it wasn't until 5 years ago that my wife of 30 years (who thank God has put up with and stood by me)urged and convinced me to ask my doctor to make a referral to have a sleep study done. Well I have to admit that she was right..... I was diagnosed with Complex sleep apnea, AHI's in the fifties.
Like so many before me I took the sleep study, had a consultation and given another sleep study to determine which type of machine would be best for me. Well I was given a Respironics Bipap ST with the settings of 15/10 and told " here ya go. Well after another year, things weren't yet right. I went back to the doc and told them how I was feeling and low behold wouldn't you know it, I was given another sleep study and told at the consultation that everything would stay the same.
Somewhere along lines of communication I fell in between the cracks and didn't hear back from the Doc. Well early December 2014 I decided enough was enough and I was tired of being tired, it was then I decided to seek out another study with a different Doc. Well the study was just 2 weeks ago, what an enlightening and eye opening experience. At the end of the study when they came in and woke me up, I can honestly say that I have never been or felt that alert, awake, aware, calm in my entire life. As it turns out I had actually only slept about 3 hours and the next 17 hours were awesome. OMG I WANT MORE OF THAT !!!!
Well, it turns out that I'll be going back in 3 weeks for another study because the therapueatic intervention utilizing BIPAP ST at 20 IPAP / 16 EPAP was ineffective in controlling the apneas. So this study will be a titration with an ASV.

But anyway I apologize for the rant ....... I'm SORRY and I wish everyone success in their treatment.

P.S. I want more of that..... Ya that... SLEEP !!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oldie but Newbie
Hi apneaguy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You are fortunate that your wife encouraged you to get your apnea treated and it's good to hear that you went to another doc to get a better idea on where to go next.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi apneaguy!

As you no doubt know, there have been hundreds of stories on here that are similar to yours. There is a great deal of ignorance and apathy in the medical community (especially the DME suppliers) concerning sleep apnea and the proper way to get the equipment set up for the patient. In your case, it seems you received an incorrect machine and even when faced with evidence that it was insufficient, they didn't react appropriately. Shame on them. When you get this resolved, I would hope you would tell the original crew of how you finally got on track so that they may be able to help themselves to be better shepherds of their customers.

Best regards,
Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea, I agree with SD2. I have no clue WHY you were given any machine other than an ASV. Glad you are on the right track now. Let us know how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apparently the ST machines work for some instances of CAs and the insurance companies want to see a treatment failure with an ST machine before they will pay for an ASV machine. From what I understand the difference in cost is significant.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.